GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Is there a tool / object for making a mesh with a specified thickness?

gedzior84
Booster
Hello.

As in the topic, I wanted to ask you guys if there exists any tool that would allow me to create a mesh with a specified thickness, or layers?
For example, I have a terrain to model, but the ground has layers: 3cm of grass, 10cm of ground and some other layers. The terrain is not flat - it has some holes and bumps. Is it possible to create this with one tool/object, not using layered slabs, roofs and shell?
51 REPLIES 51
Yves
Advocate
Better and better Braza

Your GDL kung fu is perfect
For me the object works perfectly

You have reactivated the Hotspots on the enclosing box why ?

I think setting the zzyzx to zero is better for 3D hotspots

"05. Set the 3d appearence for this object;" for this mesh no ?

I enclose the French instructions with some small corrections

IF language = "Français" THEN
	ui_text_ObjTitle = 		"COMPOSITE MESH OBJECT"
	ui_text_MeshObjName = 	"Objet/Nom >>>"
	ui_text_skin = 			"Couche"
	ui_text_skins = 		"Couches"
	ui_text1_bMesh3D = 		"Maillage/3D"
	ui_text_PenCon3d = 		"Stylo/3D"
	ui_text_PenFil2d = 		"Stylo/2D"
	ui_text_PenBkg2d = 		"Stylo fond/2D"
	ui_text_lThick = 		"Epaisseur"
	ui_text_BMAT = 			"Matériaux"
	ui_text_TopSurf = 		"Surface/Haut"
	ui_text_SideSurf = 		"Surface/Coté"
	ui_text_BotSurf = 		"Surface/Bas"
	ui_text_PenCut = 		"Stylo/Coupe"

width_intruc = 			280
	intruc_text[1] = 		"Instructions:"
	intruc_text[2] = 		"01. Créez un maillage solide avec l'outil de maillage et placez des points chauds 2D sur des nœuds de référence;"
	intruc_text[3] = 		"02. Sélectionnez votre maillage et ouvrez sa «Boîte de dialogue Paramètres»;"
	intruc_text[4] = 		"03. Ouvrez le menu déroulant «MODELE»;"
	intruc_text[5] = 		"04. Remplacer les surfaces supérieure, jupe et inférieure par 3 surfaces différentes (une pour chacune);"
	intruc_text[6] = 		"05. Définissez l'apparence 3D de ce maillage;"
	intruc_text[7] = 		"06. Cliquez sur OK dans «Paramètres de sélection de maillage»;"
	intruc_text[8] = 		"07. Sélectionnez votre maillage et vos points chauds de référence et allez dans Fichier> Bibliothèques et objets> Enregistrer la sélection sous ...> Objet;"
	intruc_text[9] = 		"08. Enregistrez votre objet dans la bibliothèque emboitée avec un nom unique;"
	intruc_text[10] = 		"09. Cliquez sur OK dans la boîte de dialogue «Modifier les paramètres de base de l'objet»;"
	intruc_text[11] = 		"10. Sélectionnez cet objet (Composite Mesh Object) et ouvrez sa «Boîte de dialogue Paramètres»;"
	intruc_text[12] = 		"11. Ouvrez le menu déroulant «PARAMÈTRES PERSONNALISÉS»;"
	intruc_text[13] = 		"12. Dans 'Objet/Nom >>>' tapez le nom de votre objet maillage enregistré;"
	intruc_text[14] = 		"13. Enfin, définissez les paramètres comme vous le souhaitez!"
	intruc_text[15] = 		"PS.: Si vous devez éditer le maillage d'origine, répétez les étapes 09 à 11 et rechargez votre bibliothèque."
	intruc_text[16] = 		""
	intruc_text[17] = 		""
ENDIF

Have a good day and thanks again
Yves Houssier
Belgium
Archicad 19 -> 24
iMac - Mac Os 10,13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Yves.
Yves wrote:
Your GDL kung fu is perfect
Nah! Its more like GDL Sumo.
Yves wrote:
You have reactivated the Hotspots on the enclosing box why ?
Never mind... I was using it during some tests and forgot to disable it.
Yves wrote:
"05. Set the 3d appearance for this object;" for this mesh no ?
I was referencing the final appearance of the object. So if you want the object to have sharp or smooth edges then you have to set it there. Does this makes sense?

Thanks for the translation.

But I am really not satisfied with the behavior of the object regarding vertical placement. I did some tests, and the results for the called object are very distinct. i.e.: If I set some Mesh node lower than the Mesh Reference level, then the called object will be elevated by that factor. This and the fact that I can't set the elevation of the object to match the elevation of the Mesh is frustrating. I thought of creating parameters for "Object Elevation" and "Skirt Height" for the user to input the values of the Mesh... but unfortunately I had no success. Anyway... I will let it "marinate".
Cheers,
lopezfigueroa
Enthusiast
Thanks Braza and Yves.
Now I add spanish translation
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
Thank you for that great object!
I added a German translation.
I would suggest adding the version number of the object on top of the User Interface within the "UI_DIALOG".
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Anonymous
Not applicable
@lopezfigueroa and @ Joachim Suehlo
Cool! Feel free to distribute it as you wish.

Joachim wrote:
I would suggest adding the version number of the object on top of the User Interface within the "UI_DIALOG".
I agree. Keeping track of object iterations is becoming a little bit messy. I would like to develop this kind of projects here on this forum, but perhaps it is time for us to migrate this and other projects to Github.

Cheers,
Josh Verran
Expert
Looks like a great tool. I'm having trouble loading.
I feel like this is a noob question but could someone point out where I'm going wrong.
I have added the gsm to the embedded library.
The gsm doesn't show up when I attempt to use through the object tool.
Thinking it could ba an actual new tool, so also tried adding via the toolbox, but no luck.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Barry Kelly
Josh wrote:
Looks like a great tool. I'm having trouble loading.

From your signature, you are using version 23.
Maybe the object has been created in 24 (or 25), in which case it will not work for you.
You won't be able to see it in the object settings as you have shown.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Josh Verran
Expert
Thanks Barry, that'll be what it is.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Lingwisyer
Guru
Would anyone be able to embed, backsave and export a copy of it for AC23? Or would that break it?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
A_ Smith
Expert
Here is that tool for Archicad 22. So whoever has 22 or 23 can easily open it.
AC 22, 24 | Win 10