BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

VCS-Server to develop GDL-Library in a team - using GIT??

klaus
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Hi folks,

I am looking for a proper way to work/develop on a gdl-lib containing about 200 objects in a team of 5 persons. 

I had a look to GIT, but there binary files are problem...

What do you use for colarborate, versonaring and merging .gsm files?

...or has anybody experience using/loading the objects directly in .XML format in AC?

best regards from Vienna,

Yours, Klaus 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

Do not use binary files (.gsm) on github. Use text format (hsf) which is suitable fot github workflow.

There are two options:

1. Edit your library files (gsm) in AC's object editor, then use lp_xmlconverter.exe to convert them to hsf and commit+push your edits to github.

2. Edit hsf files with external editor. I use vscode editor for editing scripts in hsf folder structure. After saving a script, gsm is auto generated with aftersave hook and  lp_xmlconverter.exe

Switching to AC, I added a “Reload Library” button to my toolbar to update edited objects

You can check build scripts of my library directly on github

malamalca/ar_library: ARCHICAD Library of GDL objects (github.com)

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

Do not use binary files (.gsm) on github. Use text format (hsf) which is suitable fot github workflow.

There are two options:

1. Edit your library files (gsm) in AC's object editor, then use lp_xmlconverter.exe to convert them to hsf and commit+push your edits to github.

2. Edit hsf files with external editor. I use vscode editor for editing scripts in hsf folder structure. After saving a script, gsm is auto generated with aftersave hook and  lp_xmlconverter.exe

Switching to AC, I added a “Reload Library” button to my toolbar to update edited objects

You can check build scripts of my library directly on github

malamalca/ar_library: ARCHICAD Library of GDL objects (github.com)

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview
MetalFingerz
Advocate

Hello @Miha Nahtigal ,

This is an interesting workflow. I wanted to try it but your README is only 5 lines long, is it possible to know how the folder structure should be ?

klaus
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Dear Miha Nahtigal,

thank you for your answer and the great workflow. 😀 
It is great, because one of "my" developer partners work only on the binarys directly in ARCHICAD-Editor. He do not even know the ASCI-Formats for GDL... 🙄 
so he need not deal with the formats - I will make him a bundle of batch-scripts and he 

When I understand you right, the same workflow is possible using XML instead of HSF format, isn't it?  -  I have a lot of practice on the XML-formated-lib-objects and also some useful commandline-scripts adding or alter code in all xml-objects in a folder.... etc.

Best regards from Vienna,

Yours, Klaus

Learn and get certified!