BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

0kb PDF File after publishing to Dropbox folder

furtonb
Advisor
Hi,

Publishing PDF goes wrong for some reason with certain files, it creates a 0kb PDF file in the destination folder. I've seen this thread, but my problem is not like that, but I could be wrong:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71386&p=319531&hilit=empty+pdf#p319531

I would publish to a Dropbox folder - could that be the problem? After creating this PDF it's stuck on syncing.
It's this specific PDF right now, when I publish another batch this could export well and another might go wrong. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

I've tried publishing to my desktop, it seems to work there.

What do you think, is this ARCHICAD or Dropbox (or Windows) related?

I'm having an admin user on my own machine, Win10 Pro 64bit, AC22 b5009.
This is a project on a remote BIMcloud, but I had this problem before with local files (also stored in Dropbox).

Some context: I only have this problem with ARCHICAD right now, I'm publishing "raw" PDFs that I compose with renderings and text in another application. Exporting the "final" PDFs from there sync well and I don't have these issues.

Any help would be appreciated!
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
furtonb wrote:
I would publish to a Dropbox folder - could that be the problem? After creating this PDF it's stuck on syncing.
It's this specific PDF right now, when I publish another batch this could export well and another might go wrong. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

I've tried publishing to my desktop, it seems to work there.

What do you think, is this ARCHICAD or Dropbox (or Windows) related?

Basically I would recommend not saving files to or publishing files (PDF or DWG) to a cloud share folder directly.
These processes take time to complete and quite possibly the share is trying to sync them before they are finalised.

As you said yourself, publishing to your desktop worked fine.

I would do that and then drag and drop into your share folder.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
furtonb
Advisor
Thanks, Barry.

Weird, I've been doing this for ages, and never had this problem before.
This syncing process takes seconds, this pdf is a few MBs big (cca. 4.1 MB), and the rest are kilobytes.

The funny thing: it does this when there is a completely new file in a completely new folder with completely new names (to prevent if something stuck while indexing). I wait for Dropbox to finish syncing, publish the said new files, and a random one (at least I couldn't figure out why) won't be written. The file is created, but it's 0 kb. Dropbox runs through the rest of the folder but is stuck syncing the one.

The AC publishing window tells me the PDF was written with a size x.

Copying files:
Could work for now, but I wish to avoid this in the long run.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi,

Take a look in following topic, it seems to be a similar issue.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68959

Perhaps it may help you.
Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
furtonb
Advisor
Hi Łukasz,

Thanks, I didn't read it before.
Yes, my issue is similar - I went with Barry's suggestion for now and I publish to the desktop, then copy the files, which works so far.

I will try to create the FastLogger files, as Minh described in the other thread, later.
I don't have particularly long paths, though - this publisher went to a path which was 36 characters long + file name string length - imagine "details.pdf", "floorplan.pdf", nothing fancy in this case* (Windows limit is 256, I've run into issues in the past, I try to use as short, but not cryptic names as possible).

I don't publish to a server neither.

*There are path length problems on Windows when the client requests file naming in their own system, and the file itself is ~150 characters long, but this thread is nothing like that case.
Learn and get certified!