Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

AC13 Printing Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using AC13 INT 3835 Mactel32 Full

on

OSX 10.6.8
iMac 24"
2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
3 GB Ram
1000 Gb HDD with 382 Free

I have a set of 8 drawings 6 of which print no problem.

The 7th drawing has 4 floor plans on it and every time I hit print the computer hangs and I have to use Force Quit

I have rebuilt the drawing I don't know how many times, including the title sheet, each floor plan including making new views etc, and all notes placed on the sheet.

I have isolated the problem to the ground floor plan (1st floor in the US) on which I have removed anything that I did not absolutely need for planning application, changed fill patterns in case there was something it did not like all to no avail.

The 8th drawing will not print either but as this is the site layout and contains the ground floor plan I think solving the problem on the ground floor is the answer.

All suggestions welcome.

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Do you get errors when generating the 3D model from the first floor view?
You may have to turn on errors in your work environment.

Try setting your placed drawing of the first floorand site plans to Manual instead of Auto Update so the program won't try to regenerate before creating the pdf.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

We once had similar crashing AC13 file. It turned out to
be the used built-in section marker, which freezed the file
every time we changed to the floor where the section marker
was placed.

Changing to different marker solved the problem.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Do you get errors when generating the 3D model from the first floor view?
You may have to turn on errors in your work environment.

Try setting your placed drawing of the first floorand site plans to Manual instead of Auto Update so the program won't try to regenerate before creating the pdf.
Hi Erika,

Thanks for the tip but no I have no 3D errors.

I made a duplicate of the entire file and I have spent the last few days disassembling the ground (1st) floor plan steadily deleting one thing after another, starting with objects, especially those made myself, and moving on to every element until I was left with the bare walls. Before I got that far I more or less gave up and sent another duplicate to the agents in Dublin from where I got a cheerful note saying they had been able to "replicate" the problem and shortly thereafter another one saying it had gone to Budapest for inspection by the mandarins there.

As I more or less retired a couple of years ago and being totally underwhelmed by work offers including my largest client going belly-up leaving me holding quite a large baby I let my subscription to AC drop so I expect I shall be washing dishes in the canteen in Budapest for some considerable time to come.

I tried sending you a card at Christmas but your mail delivery system didn't like it and sent it back.

Best wishes,

Chris Dennehy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Juha wrote:
Hello,

We once had similar crashing AC13 file. It turned out to
be the used built-in section marker, which freezed the file
every time we changed to the floor where the section marker
was placed.

Changing to different marker solved the problem.

Hope this helps.
Thank you but no.

I was using the standard section marker which I have done for years but I don't think that's the problem.

There are 4 layouts on the drawing I am trying to print all with the section marker on them, if you deduct the Ground (1st) floor layout the drawing will print no problem with the other 3, I have passed your tip onto the agents here in case it might be something to do with it.

Kind regards

Chris Dennehy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well GS came back basically saying it was a problem with fills and to cut out anything dense, I didn't think it was.

So I made a duplicate of the entire file.

As a design progresses things get rejected and I end up with bits of rejected schemes, existing layouts etc in various locations, since 4.55 it has been my practice to place a red fill over the current not to be deleted work, cut a whole in the fill so the critical scheme has basically a wide red border all round.

I hit select all fills and started deleting obsolete bits of the scheme, saving and trying to print after each deletion.

After about the 4th deletion the only bit of surplus fill left was the Do Not Delete bit around the critical drawing, so I deleted it, save, print and it prints. So before it changed it's mind I printed off all the outstanding drawings.

Now I didn't pursue this any further but to my mind it should not have happened because once upon a time I actually read the manual, I think it was 4.55, in which it said, more or less, that the hole in a fill was so pure that you could do anything in it and it would not cause any problems.

Now of course things have changed a bit since then, the types and densities of fills available has changed enormously and whether it was increased density or some other gremlin I expect I'll never know.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Chris,
Did you get my email?

Re the fills, at some point the % fills changed and became problematic because they increased the file size as well as the less than 100% ones displayed differently and not in a good way. I'm wondering if you might have been using that for your red fill?

We all use the program a bit differently. I have a layer superceded for the non-current options. I say non-current because the times I've deleted the parts the client adamantly said they didn't want, they would come back and say they changed their mind and wanted that old scheme . Having them on the superceded layer which is never visible in my layer combinations works for me.

Glad you worked it out,
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"