Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension tool not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
The dimension tool works fine for me on a new ArchiCAD file set up from the Archicad17 standard template.

However, just tried adding dimensions for the construction set to a model I've been working on for a while & nothing works after selecting the tool: no dimension points, no double-click to pull up the hammer cursor, no nada.

Tried turning on all the layers, restarting the computer / ArchiCAD but with the same result - nada in my file, but fine in a new document. Problem is clearly with my file - maybe some setting that needs changing?

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Duncan
12 REPLIES 12
Eduardo Rolon
FWIW, check that you have not turned on "Grid Snap"
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Eduardo. Sadly Grid Snap is off and seems to have no bearing on my problem. Any other thoughts?

Duncan
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
Check you haven't accidentally set the geometry method to Arc Length. This will make it appear that the dimension tool isn't working at all.

The "G" key switches between the different geometry methods so it is easy to change it without knowing.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matt Balaam..... TNX!

Your suggestion is correct! It is working for me

Guys, chech your Arc Length button...turn to xy and you are on

Many thanks, not being able to add dimensions was driving me mad - cannot remember resetting the geometry settings, but obviously had

peter

peter
Archicad 4.5 to 16 - iMac
London UK

Thank you, Matt!!! You're a life saver! 

i've got the same problem. for me the grid thing is off and i selected xy. but it is still not working for me. anyone an idea?

So you have the linear dimension tool active?

You click what you want to dimension and you see little circles?

You then double click to finish selecting points and then you place the dimension line?

Where is the process failing?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I can click on the walls i need. i also get the littel hammer. i just dont get a line i can drag to the right position. The crazyest part is, that evertying in the map goes right exept for one specific piece. I upload a picture maybe that clears my problem.

20230506_154806.jpg