BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Fully Rendered BIMx models?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there going to be support for 'fully rendered' models in bimx?
As it stands the bimx models are only able to be viewed in a fairly basic open-gl type 3d presentation display.

If this were the case the need for third party rendering software would be un-necessary, but I suppose the file sizes would end up rather large?
7 REPLIES 7
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Twinmotion and Lumion offer this and I think some people are using unreal engine, but that requires a bit more work.

BIMx offers other things, especially with pro with the presentation of 2d information along with the model.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, the file size for a filly rendered model will not be any larger than the model BIMx has now.

The way to approach that would be through so called "texture baking".

Texture Baking (a.k.a. Render Baking) is an ages-old and rather straight-forward process of rendering every face of a model in render engine (like ARCHICAD's own CineRender) and then simply applying pre-rendered textures to every face of BIMx model. The result would be a fully-rendered, navigable Hyper-Model with little-to-none increase in file size (albeit, with a bit higher graphical memory requirements in general, but nothing todays iPads can't handle).

Unfortunately, BIMx plugin is a very old software dating back to ArchiCAD 9, lacks a lot of crucial modern features and is in need of substantial update.

I am in no way affiliated with Graphisoft, but I've been doing architecture and software development in parallel for over twenty years, so I have a general idea of what is out there.

With a right guidance and a little of work BIMx could be brought to todays standards.

Go Graphisoft!

Hope for the best.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You make it sound easy, hopefully they could even implement this in a patch as it wont be included in the Archicad 20 release for sure

a program like BIMx has so much potential and a few small tweaks and changes like you say could bring it to todays standards and it could be amazing.

Bimx Wishlist: - Pre-Rendered BIMx models, - Hyperlinks to external documents such as pdfs, - support for use on PC where you can preview and click on items to see their properties - if it could be like the unreal engine would be fantastic, clients could change the colour of their walls or claddings, from predetermined and pre-rendered textures.
in terms of 3dvr it already seems to support stereoscopic for google cardboard im sure others such as samsung gear or occulus could be implemented fairly easily (if not already compatible) I belive they run through the mobile device anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
methy wrote:
You make it sound easy
It is not at all complicated, as anyone can do it manually by rendering projections of specific elements, saving all resulting textures as Surfaces and manually applying resulting surfaces to BIMx model.
Waste of time, naturally, as computers can do that much faster.

It, simply, does require someone to program that behavior into BIMx add-on and CineRender engine and Graphisoft might not have the manpower now to do that. 😞 Lets hope for the best.
methy wrote:
Hyperlinks to external documents such as pdfs
BIMx supports that. You need to change so called BIMx "Info Set" on the basis of specific Schedule when you create a BIMx Hyper-model document and all objects in your BIMx model will have links to any Internet address you want. In essence, while viewing Hyper-model in BIMx, you will be able to select any object and if you did setup your BIMx Info Set correctly and had URL field as property field in your objects — you will see the link that will open to any Internet resource, PDF or web site in you iPad's default browser or filetype-related application.

BIMx is really due for an update. I am sure Graphisoft undersntads that better than anyone out there. Especially with some cross-platform competition jumping ahead with support for lights, revision control, export scheduler, public and private issues etc. like .
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Twinmotion and Lumion offer this and I think some people are using unreal engine, but that requires a bit more work.

BIMx offers other things, especially with pro with the presentation of 2d information along with the model.
Hi Erwin, how is using Twinmotion to produce a BimX possible? Apologies if I've misunderstood what you meant here..
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
ponaelius wrote:
Erwin wrote:

Hi Erwin, how is using Twinmotion to produce a BimX possible? Apologies if I've misunderstood what you meant here..
The question asked was about the 3D presentation rendering of BIMx at the time, Twinmotion is a different option of sharing the 3D model with your client that has nothing to do with BIMx. It is running on the unreal engine these days.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems my old post is coming back from the dead now that ArchiCAD and twinmotion support each other somewhat, ArchiCAD still heavily relies on the BIMx package for the 3d navigation side of presentation for walking around models which ultimately are one of the main mediums the client will use to navigate around the exterior and interior of the building.

Twinmotion is great it will be able to produce great renders and output some nice video presentations and perhaps a seperate vr experience, but there doesnt appear to be any way of sending all of that beautiful twinmotion goodness back into ArchiCAD or outputting it to a VR navigation model that the client and builder will both be able to use, and I think it will still be similar to what we have now with amazing external rendering packages, but still a very basic cad /bimx model there will be a bit of a disconnect between the bimx model and the amazing renders you show the client.

When will we be able to export a bimx file out of twinmotion? I guess is what im asking now so that it still retains all the original Archicad information; drawings and ease of use and navigation switching between a detail and the vr model (its all bimx needed was a way to bake in the amazing textures)

Also I hope in AC24 they look at updating the totally out of date objects: people, trees, cars and some furnishings.