Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Standard for Building Material IDs

Josh Verran
Expert

Curious about what system people use for their Building Material IDs.

I can't seem to find a national standard (NZ).

I have been using a pretty basic numbering system (BM01, BM02, BM03 etc).

This has been alright a but a bit of a nuisance when ordering numerically.

Also just seeing BM27 by itself gives no clue as to what it is.

I've thought about acronyms or a variation on that, eg CONC for Concrete.

I feel like it might just end up being unique to this company but interested to hear what people are doing.

Screenshot 2021-10-29 141222.png

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
3 REPLIES 3
DGSketcher
Legend

@Josh Verran The UK tends to use the guidance that comes from "The NBS" for layer and other standards. The current "favoured" naming system UNICLASS 2015 covers products. I don't like it and don't use it in my documentation, but it should give you an idea of the scale of the problem. I may be wrong, but I would imagine most users not bound by government standards, including myself, just establish a common sense memorable naming system to suit their regularly used materials.

If you don't already have it, open the classification manager and click on the [ I ] in the lower left which gives you a link to the classifications download site. If you look at the CAWS classification headings, they may give you some easier to use pointers. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Back in 2013 (I think, when BMs were introduced I used (for the want of something logical) the NATspec codes as the Building Material IDs for the Australian Template like this...

Its recently changed.

BMIDs.jpg

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Tim Ball
Expert

I use the old CAWS UK system across all attributes so that I only have to remember one standard. However, I am not sharing the information so it’s just for my own convenience. For instance, a ceiling in my system might have the following attributes

• Material K | Lining | Plasterboard
  • Cut fill M2 | Int Finish | Plaster
  • Surface M6 | Decoration | Paint - White Emulsion
  • Layer name A | K | K4 Ceiling

I rename all the standard ,materials and surfaces attributes in my own template

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5