Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

What's wrong with my elevations ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been looking at the elevation settings, and associated component settings ( i.e walls ) but I can't seem to get any of my elevations to look right. There are lines that are missing which may be the windows and in general they don't look good.

I've looked over each setting in the wall and window dialog, everything seems fine there, likewise the elevation settings look fine.

I've attach a elevation and 3D view of that elevation. I'm sure that you will know exactly what it will be, but as I don't I can't research what it might be.

Thank you.

Screen shot 2010-01-24 at 18.57.33.png
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know there aren't any textures on the walls yet ( still can't get cadimage to work ), but even so, I thought their should be a outline.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The lack of edges could be caused by duplicate (coincident) elements. Two things occupying the same space cancel each other out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've deleted a window, and that just increases the missing line, so it must be the walls that are causing a problem.

Is there any ' method ' to find out why it is happening ?

Thank You

EDIT: changing the window internal frame to 0 also made the elevation line disappear.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your first image is an Internal Engine view.
Your second Image seems to be an OpenGL view.
Each of these views have different rules, stay with one type until you understand it well.
Have your tried to relocate the Sun to change the shadows? You might have the sun behind the building in that first image.
Look under Help for the Archicad 13 Reference Guide, Virtual Building, 3D Window. You will find this helpful.

Internal Engine will not reliably produce an intersection line at implied intersections.
An implied intersection is two objects overlapping each other in space, a real intersection is two objects terminating at the same line or point in space.
Real intersection = two walls with a clean "intersection".
Implied intersection = wall starting below a mesh and rising through it to become visible in 3D.

Then again there are some unknown programming quirks. When I need to have a line in 3D, ...ahem, when there "should" be a line in 3D, I have resorted to copying or moving the wall to new location, then returning it to old location to find it now has a line in 3D. Doesn't always work.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
snapcrackle wrote:
Your first image is an Internal Engine view.
Your second Image seems to be an OpenGL view.
Each of these views have different rules, stay with one type until you understand it well.
Have your tried to relocate the Sun to change the shadows? You might have the sun behind the building in that first image.
Look under Help for the Archicad 13 Reference Guide, Virtual Building, 3D Window. You will find this helpful.

Internal Engine will not reliably produce an intersection line at implied intersections.
An implied intersection is two objects overlapping each other in space, a real intersection is two objects terminating at the same line or point in space.
Real intersection = two walls with a clean "intersection".
Implied intersection = wall starting below a mesh and rising through it to become visible in 3D.

Then again there are some unknown programming quirks. When I need to have a line in 3D, ...ahem, when there "should" be a line in 3D, I have resorted to copying or moving the wall to new location, then returning it to old location to find it now has a line in 3D. Doesn't always work.

Snap
They were both created with the openGL view, the only differences are that I changed the " Fill uncut surfaces with " in the Elevation settings.

I'm looking into more detail on why there are clashes, but could I just alter say the floor slab by 1cm or so to prevent clash ( though it's not the slab causing the problems.

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops,

OK, so looking at the 3d orthographic view, I don't see any contours, this may be due to the resolution of the image, however the 3D Window Setting palette for Open GL has a Contours selection box with choices of Off, Draft and Best. Give that a look see.

What material/texture are we looking at?

In elevation the edge line on the right of the foreground wall is missing, but only where there is a background wall "behind" it. Is that wall recessed in plan or is this element flush with the front wall, but elevated (cantilevered)? Same question applies to the third massing element at the extreme right. I see some very tenuous linework that might be a window frame seen in side view(?).

Which linework in the windows are your talking about?

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
I've deleted a window, and that just increases the missing line, so it must be the walls that are causing a problem.

Is there any ' method ' to find out why it is happening ?
Yes it would be the wall sif the problem is duplicate elements. There is an add-on called "Check Duplicates" (I think) available from GS. Look under the help menu. The menu item used to be called "Goodies" now it's "Add-ons" or something in 13.