Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3D PMK's greatly increaseing File Size

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,
I often create a sheet within a plotmaker layout which contains 3D hidden line views using the Internal Engine. On a current remodel job I have 6 such views on one sheet. Each 3D view seems to be about 12.5 MB. I know that I can set the drawing setting to "Frame only" in the preview in layout pull-down menu, but my question is about what others may be doing. I know that it is only file size that we are taking about, but the 6 views in the layout book are now accounting for almost 80% of the file size. With the views the LBK is 104 MB, without the views the LBK is 22 MB.

Backing-up to a CD the changed lbk on days that it changes, fills up a CD fast. I quess I could hold off on placing the PMK's into the lbk until the very last moment, but no one ever knows when that last moment is. Are any others out there placing these "ballooned" PMK into there layouts?

3d pmk.JPG
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
check out the number of lines and hatches in a hidden line drawing like that and you'll understand the 12 M / pmk.
But you can use file compression. this tipe of files and also pln compress very well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
or buy a dvd writer
Aussie John
Newcomer
is the cache written to the file or to a separate folder? ( see preferences). This makes a big difference to file size
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, the main problem is that each individual line of your 3D Hatches will be treated as a single line in PlotMaker, which cause the file size to bloat.
Maybe you can save views without 3D Hatch, and when it is final, you can save one with 3D hatches.
I don't know if this is feasible in your case.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Aussie John
Newcomer
You could also reduce the density of the shadow or publish the 3d views as a jpegs as they are not line based.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
the PMK format sucks...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
the PMK format sucks...
Then try a DWG. With that many lines it will be big too.