Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Calculate Menu - Doing Math

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to be able to track the total wattage of the lights I place in the plan (wattage calculation for energy code). I have already got my light objects correctly reporting wattage to an Interactive Schedule which then nicely counts up each fixture type and lists the lights out to a schedule. I then move this schedule to Excel and do some math to get my final wattage calc.

I would like to skip the whole Excel part. Is there a better way to do this using the calculation tools? If so, could someone show me the very basics of doing math with two fields from a schedule, or at least where to look.

Thanks for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
John wrote:
I would like to be able to track the total wattage ...I would like to skip the whole Excel part. Is there a better way to do this using the calculation tools? If so, could someone show me the very basics of doing math with two fields from a schedule, or at least where to look.
You can't do arithmetic in the I.S.

However, just selecting a 'sum' for the wattage value gives me a grand total of wattage (and you can do various subtotals as well if needed) ... which I think is all you want to do? If this doesn't help, post a screenshot of what you're seeing vs what you want to see.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

That's really a great step forward and helps me out greatly (and emabassingly simple too ). Your tip will allow me track total wattage as I design which is 80% of the problem I had before.
Now, if I might get a little greedy...

What I would ideally like to achieve is shown in the attached schedule below. If I could get ArchiCAD to total the wattage for each fixture type and grand total the wattage column that would be great. I'm willing to use the regular calculate menu if necessary.

Thanks again, your first tip is a big help.
Karl Ottenstein
John wrote:
What I would ideally like to achieve is shown in the attached schedule below. If I could get ArchiCAD to total the wattage for each fixture type and grand total the wattage column that would be great..
You're welcome. 😉

Well, you can do some of this, but not with the format that you show. To get a report that looks exactly like yours, I'd probably resort to exporting to Access/Filemaker or Excel.

You can subtotal by otherwise-indistinguishable-items in the I.S.. (E.g., all element that have the same values in all fields displayed in the schedule.) as shown in the attached screenshot for several library parts placed in a plan (I'm using the lib part name to distinguish the lamps ... rather than a model, etc.). Note the subtotals and grand total, but that they are on their own lines. (I didn't mess with fonts and line spacing ... trying to give a quick answer.)

Simply click on the 3rd button for the Watts ... which is the subtotal "flag".

Cheers,
Karl

PS You can ignore certain lamps (by their ID or other field value), but you cannot have them appear in the I.S. schedule, yet not be subtotalled as in your example.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool. I think I've got it now.
Thanks for your help. I've never could quite figure out what those little buttons did. Now I know.

I guess as wishlist item I would wish for some very basic spreadsheet functions in the I.S. so that schedules and such could be done w/o Excel. Not sure if anyone would make that a high priority wish though.

Anyway thanks again.