BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Capitalize or Lowercase Notes

EH21
Booster

Just curious - for general notes/sheet notes/keynotes, do you use all caps, or do you use lowercase numbers and write traditionally? I have heard arguments for both sides. The all caps were originally used in hand drafting to reduce communication errors, but now, with computer drafting, computer fonts are often more easily read using lowercase. What do you all think?

ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory
13 REPLIES 13

@Laszlo Nagy  I can get there by signing in with my GS ID, I just tried it again to be sure. It works (for me). I am on an INT version + SSA/forward, non GSSG.

If you didn't try that already, try signing in from a "in-private" or another browser window. Maybe some loaded cookies are preventing you from signing in there.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Thanks Miha,

I tried it with both way, but it does not let me access the download. I don't know what could be wrong, but I have no more time for testing. Thanks anyway.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Caps take up more space for a given text string in the same font size, but give better legibility for the same text area –you can read the same font size from farther away, or the other way around, you can use a significantly smaller font size with caps.
As far as I know, annotations in technical drawings have always been caps. For architectural construction drawing sets the cap font size in the full-size drawing meant to be discussed across a table or something will give an acceptablly legible 50% set for individual consumption only (typically ~2,5 mm for dimensions, although some people use 2,2;  ~3 mm for text, at full size; not fun trying to read that at 50% with lowercase). 
Also the supposed better flow in reading lowercase is irrelevant for the short texts used in architectural sets.

I personally dismiss construction drawings sets with lowercase annotations as the work of noobs (internally; I only bring this up with students or people working under my guidance) –draftsmen using computers before learning what a construction drawings set is.

Preliminary design presentations etc. are a different story.

PS: in text legibility, height is key (which is why road signs and license plates often use some narrow font); I think there are advantages to using Arial Narrow for dimensions, which I find more of a real estate problem than text, once they start cluttering the drawing with wall thicknesses and such.

Not that this will help you Laszlo, but I just clicked on the link in Mihas's post and it took me to the Singapore download page straight away, and I was already logged in with GSID.

No problem downloading the files.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions