Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Cleanup of walls with similar Building Material, Intersection Priority & Intersection Group Number

Johan Stinckens
Advocate
I have a problem with the current cleanup of building materials that have similar properties.

Example
I use 2 building materials "Steen - Snelbouw BiSB" and "Steen - Snelbouw C" which apart from their name share the same settings for Structure and Appearance: Fill, Surface, Intersection Priority.

These building materials are then used to define a cavity wall and a simple wall.

Now, whenever these walls intersect "end caps" are shown where the two building materials touch.
However, I do not want this. I want a floor plan which shows that the concrete blocks are "bonded" rather than that one wall appears to "end" at the outer wall.

That said, I do want them to have distinct names as I want them to appear in seperate sections when using Schedules.

Any ideas?!

Greetz...

Johan
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Adding extra images which I wasn't able to upload to the Original post.
Johan Stinckens
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Barry Kelly
Different Building Materials will not clean up even if they have exactly the same properties.
Your multi-skin wall needs to use exactly the same BM as the single skin wall.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Hi Barry,

Well, for me that is a flaw in ArchiCAD then.
I would think Intersection Priority is the one parameter by which elements are cleaned-up.

For estimation (using shedules) I want to seperate the concrete blocks used in outer walls from those used in inner walls. But on floor plans they should be drawn as intersecting -> 50% interlocking units.

So, if anyone knows how to achieve this! But I will probably have to post this to the ArchiCAD wishlist I guess.

Greetz...

Johan
Johan Stinckens

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Just schedule by layer. I am assuming you would draw inner and outer walls on different layers .

Failing that, add some text to the composite/complex profiles to identify or go full bim and put the info in the category tags.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Johan wrote:
I would think Intersection Priority is the one parameter by which elements are cleaned-up.
Back in the bad old days we only had 14 (or was it 16) intersection priority levels.
At least now we have 1000.
But even so we can still have building materials with exactly the same IP.
I think the logic is simply that if they are different Building Materials then one should always override the other - just as in real life.
If they are to merge they need to be the same Building Material.

Johan wrote:
For estimation (using shedules) I want to seperate the concrete blocks used in outer walls from those used in inner walls. But on floor plans they should be drawn as intersecting -> 50% interlocking units.
This can be done with the same Building Material because you have 2 different composites.
It is just a matter of searching for the composite rather than the Building Material or even by layer in the schedule criteria.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11