Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions turn static

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dimension something and then when I move it , the dimensions don't move and update with it. THis only happens sometimes. I must be doing something wrong or is this a bug in archicad? I'm using Ver 9 with the latest update.

Thanks,
Michele
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michele wrote:
I dimension something and then when I move it , the dimensions don't move and update with it. THis only happens sometimes. I must be doing something wrong or is this a bug in archicad? I'm using Ver 9 with the latest update.

Thanks,
Michele
If you happen to chose a different element when you dimension (ie slab versus wall) the dimension will of course not update when you move the wall. I personally turn all layers off except what I want to dimension to. I have not seen an issue where the dimension will not automatically adjust.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I try to dimension a center of a empty fill (i used a fill instead of a circle because I wanted to use the id nad a circle doesn't have an id) and when I move the fill the dimension does not update. THe dimensions update when I dimension a circle but I have 75 fills that I need to dimension and they might move so I'm up a creek without a paddle and I want my paddle!!!! Why wouldn't the dimensions update if I'm dimensioning to a fill. Is this a bug or did Archicad do this on purpose
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michele,
I think I have noticed something about the dimension tool that
might be relevant to your issue.
If you dimension from the edge of a line to the edge of
another line the dimension is static.
But if you dimension from a node of one line to a
node of another line the dimension is associated.
Could it be you are dimensioning from edge to edge
of your fills. Try dimensioning from node to node and
if there is not a node where you want to measure,
make one.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I asked my reseller (who knows everything:) and he says that you have to dimension to a native node.
Native nodes are:
-end points and midpoints of lines
-Orgins of fills (change fill to "link to fill orgin" to see node)
-You can find the native nodes of anything when you turn off the special snap points and the quick selction (horseshoe in the arrow tool). Place your cursor over it and where ever you get an arrow that is a native node.

I wish all dimensions are associative. What's the point of them not being associative. More frustration.

Thanks,
Michele
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It's pretty simple really - when you are dimensioning, if you see a square dimension point it will be static. If you see a round dimension point it will be associated. You can cycle through elements as you dimension and you can later select and hold a dimension node (where the cahin meets the marker) down and it will highlight the element it is associated with (if any).

Once you know the fundamentals, it is quite predictable.

I just wish we could dimension (associatively) to ghosted elements!

Cheers,
Link.
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
Instead of using an empty fill use a circular column with a really small height (ie 1mm or less). Put them in at a height where they will either not show in elevation, or be hidden by the ground line or some other element.
The dimensions will associate with center node of the column, so the dimensions will adjust when they are moved.
And you still get to use the ID.

Cheers
Stu.
Aussie John
Newcomer
also when using dimensions in section/elevations. dimensioning to a diamond hotspot with remain associative
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Djordje
Ace
Stuart wrote:
Instead of using an empty fill use a circular column with a really small height (ie 1mm or less).
Not necessary.

Activate the fill origin, put the fill origin in the center.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know how to activate the Fill Origin, But Grouping a Hotspot with the fill origin, will stay associative.

Also if you produced the fills by "magic wanding" a Circle, just keep the circle and group with the fill.

remember to have Groups "ON" when Moving Fill.

Links, this is good to know about the "square dimension point it will be static. If you see a round dimension point it will be associated". How can the "Point" Aperture be made larger?