Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dims partially disappear in the PDF output

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had this a long time ago when some dimensions became "unstuck" from the placement point, usually on part of an object ie vanity cupboard. The built in PDF writer seems to be unstable again?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm beginning to think the dimensions are unstable when associating them to stretchy hotspots on an object.
Does anyone have the same issue? I am not really looking forward to adding hotspots everywhere.....
Barry Kelly
Hi Dennis,
Dimensioning to hotspots can be a problem.
It all depends on how the hotspots are scripted.
Ideally they should all have a unique ID number.
Some scripters are "lazy" and use a bit of code "HSID=HSID+1" after every hotspot to increase the ID number of the next hotspot by one.

The problem is when you dimension one of these hotspots the dimension is linked to that particular ID number.
So as you modify you object by adjusting parameteres which forces some hotspots to turn on and others to turn off then you will find your dimensions will jump to other hotspots or disappear altogether.
Usually just stretching an object is not a problem as you still have the same hotspots just in a different position and the dimension will follow them.
But if it is something like a stair where stretching adds extra treads or a cabinet where stretching adds extra doors then depending on the order that the hotspots are scripted then this can cause problems.

If each hotspot is hard coded with an individual number that never changes then that solves the problem (except when one object calls another as you will get duplicate hotspot numbers).
As you adjust you object and new hotspots are added then they will be ignored and dimensions will stay linked to the existing hotspots.
If a hotspot gets turned off then the dimension linked to it also gets turned off.
But if the hotspot ever gets turned on again then the linked dimension will re-appear.

I am not sure if this explains it very well.
The only options I can see are to amend the object scripts so they always have unique IDs or every time you adjust an object you must check associated dimension in all plans and elevation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
lazy scripting? No way!!!
I am still a pup when it comes to object work so I will chase it up with the original Mr Maker and see how it goes.
In the meantime can you suggest a reliable point of purchase for ozzie residential vanity units / basin etc etc objects. It's driving me bonkers
Rod Jurich
Contributor
DennisKoufou wrote:
/......
In the meantime can you suggest a reliable point of purchase for ozzie residential vanity units / basin etc etc objects/.......
................. G'day Dennis, you cannot go past 4Dlibrary
Ben is local and knows his GDL
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Barry Kelly
I can't really recommend any because we use our own custom objects.
But have you tried Ben's 4D Library?

http://www.4dlibrary.com.au/

Others here may be able to say how good it is.
This is the only local library I am aware of apart from the Aussie Essential Library from Graphisoft itself.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Barry and Rod, I will look into it. Cheers
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Barry wrote:
/...... apart from the Aussie Essential Library from Graphisoft itself.
Sorry to say, but it has had almost nil development and a shame GS Aus still put it out to use
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
In these modern times it's all about "Ready To Assemble", a bit like buying new furniture Rod