Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Disappearing grid elements from sections in AC20

In AC 20 7001, sections
- with their gridlines set to show 'all stories, only selected', with say 50% of the perpendicular grid elements selected,
- with their views brought as drawings and showing OK,
are suddenly losing all their gridlines but one (they keep only '1' (first one on the x axis) and 'A' (first on the y axis), so that only one of them shows in each section (because the other one is not perpendicular); in some cases they keep a couple more gridlines. I go to section marker and all the grid elements but these two are now unchecked. In some cases when I go to section settings I find a lot of the perpendicular gridlines are checked instead.
I don't think I or anybody else modified anything in the section settings, and especially not in the grid elements panel. Redoing it is a lot of work, and I fear I may lose everything again.
12 REPLIES 12
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

More often than not this happens because someone accidentally injects the settings of another elevation into the current one, or deleting the grids and placing new ones (with the same IDs).

If you really think that this is not the case, then the next time you experience this, save the current (faulty) state of the project, find the last backup file that was still fine, and send your ARCHICAD logs and the 2 PLNs to your local support team. They might be able to tell you what happened between the 2 states based on the logs.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
I am really sure nobody injected settings. Does deleting or renaming a single grid element (they have custom IDs) mess up the checked grid element settings for all sections/elevations?
Eduardo Rolon
Just tried it and if you filter grids by name (choosing which ones should appear on the view) and then change the name of one it will disappear. Changing the name back will restore it and changing the ID does nothing.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

The problem here is something makes all checked grid elements but one disappear (not one in which the name may have changed), and sometimes checks non-perpendicular elements in the section settings. Something triggers chaos in the selected grid elements settings.
Eduardo Rolon
I was answering the question about changing Names.
Anyway if you are absolutely certain that every grid is perpendicular to the Section/Elev, that there are no .001 misalignment errors, and that the Grid is within the Section/Elev range, then it is a weird Bug since I cannot find a way to reproduce it and based on the posts it is not happening to anyone else.

I would bet that there is a "human error" somewhere.

Try copying/paste the grids and sections to a new document to see if you can reproduce the behavior.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

The AC22 Reference Guide, 'Small Improvements', lists “Grid Tool lines visible in Section: bug fix to ensure that custom settings will “stick” correctly.”
So it seems it makes sense to be careful in AC21 and earlier, when this feature is needed. I would have saved a lot of precious time if at the start I had copy-pasted those grid elements into a worksheet, and overlaid a drawing with its (2D, dead) grid lines only on each of those sections-elevations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm facing the same problem with disappearing grids markers. I tried transferring properties from the grid lines that DO show but, as mentioned above, changing the name will make it disappear. I also creating new ones but for some reason these also do not show. Has anybody been able to find their way around these?
Any help is much appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable
GOT IT

Response from Eric Bobrow:

"Elevation Settings are set to only show specific Grid markers. You can control this in the Elevation Settings dialog in the bottom section. To show all Grid Elements, check the All button (for both "by Stories" and "by Name). "

I'd like to bump this thread and ask GS specifically what sorts of actions can cause grid elements and their visibility settings to suddenly disappear in any and all section elevation windows. This has happened in this office a few times and I'd like to know what to be looking for to avoid it happening in future.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6