Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Drafting quality ugliness

About a third of the drawings I have been coming across recently have basic drafting problems --nobody seems to use geometry layouts, things that should be equal are not equal by 1/16", things start having funny dimensions, etc. *Very basic* drafting problems, coming from architects etc. And nobody seems to care.

About a year ago I thought such a situation scandalous and extraordinary, but now I am starting to assume it as ordinary and just the way some people do drawings. Was I lucky before? Am I being very unlucky recently? Is that just the way things are and I was not aware?
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable
"The GC isnt going to come into your office and start fussing about the fact that a dimension line on the foundation is in the wrong layer."

sorry to disappoint you again...but I know several agency that would, including DOD, NJ Transit and others.....the point of Archicad is that you can have a BIM deliverable........in fact American Tax payer dollars go toward developing check software.....and you can download it for free.....

https://tsc.wes.army.mil/tsws_acad/TSWS_DownLoad.asp

it's worth checking out
Vitruvius
Booster
"sorry to disappoint you again...but I know several agency that would, including DOD, NJ Transit and others....."

I think the essence of the thread, which I agree with, is that if you can't draw well by hand you can't draw well on a computer. A well considered set of plans is like a well crafted business letter - concise, clear and elegant. And conversely sloppy plans are indicative of a makeshift and disorganized design process.

The drawing isn't the product (the building is) but it speaks volumes in respect of your approach to a project. I've had contractors tell me that my documents are exceptional - and, I believe that serves my clients very well in terms of facilitating every aspect of the construction process.
Cameron Hestler, Architect
Archicad 27 / Mac Studio M1 Max - 32 GB / LG24" Monitors / 14.5 Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keith, check your PM
KeesW
Advocate
Interesting thread!
I think that draughting quality depends much more on the operator than the software. I am fairly fussy and particular and love Ching's books. When I first looked at Archicad, I was disappointed with its output. However, when I saw the first issue of 'Framework for Archicad 6', the quality of the working drawing plan and detail examples blew me away and I immediately ordered my first Archicad (version 5.1, I think). Training and working throught the tutorials makes all the difference.
Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Dwight
Newcomer
Like that awful color blue that is default for use in the dimensions. Simply ick!
Call taste police.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
We usually use the 2 section markers method. One is the eventually disassociated drafting section marker in which we do all our work and the other is the associated section marker which can be updated as regularly as you like which we copy the 'new bits' from, to the disassociated section.

We put the 'extra' section marker on a separate hidden layer.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Roolio,
Why two markers?
Since 9 sections are now able to switch back and forth between auto-rebuild, manual rebuild and drafting. If you drag-a-copy of your section/elevation away from its origin, one section can now do all that you want.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika

Interesting method. However, if you move your elevation it makes it harder to copy stuff from elevation to elevation or back to plan (like construction grids) without that extra step of moving it back into position, and extra steps usually (for me and most others) mean a greater chance of making mistakes.

Roolio
Erika Epstein
Booster
"However, if you move your elevation it makes it harder to copy stuff "

I don't think it is difficult if you get in the habit of dragging-a-copy multiple of 25' for sections & elevations and multiples of 5' for smaller items like details.

For those occassions where you do want to have a non-live section/elevation it makes it much easier. You only have to select the item(s) that have changed to be dragged into place. Far easier and faster IMHO than copying and pasting between multiple windows. It also reduces user errors when there are multiple people working on the same file.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
__archiben
Booster
Erika wrote:
I don't think it is difficult if you get in the habit of dragging-a-copy multiple of 25' for sections & elevations and multiples of 5' for smaller items like details.
if you get into the habit, it's a relatively good way of maintaining 'live' and 'drafted' section/elevations together in harmony . . .

but i would go one step further than erika........

i typically model my building ground floor structure at z = 0. project zero. it is also typically the case that a building is very rarely situated at the project zero reality: sea level or whichever surveyor's/ordance datum you use.

so by setting the reference levels correctly in 'Preferences>Working Units and Levels...' and then offsetting your copied sect/elevation by that amount you can take advantage of the various dimensioning tools and associated reference levels . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup