cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Ghost story & more?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like my plans to have a ghost story and a ghost site plan/topo.
Is there a way to have two stories i.e. (Site and topography story) and
(main level plan story) ghost onto the printed output of the second story plan? I have been printing from pdf files produced in the layout book.
I imagine there is some way to save view and place onto a layout with more than one story visible on screen as trace reference.
Is this possible? I am using AC 14 still. I do have AC 15 just haven't started using it yet.

Best to all,

Jon
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
The simplest way is to overlay drawings on the layout.
Barry Kelly
What I would do is first set up a new "ghost" pen set with all the colours set as light grey (or whatever you want to use as your ghost colour).
Then make sure you have a view saved for each plan that you want to use as a ghost.
Now in your layouts you can place your main plan (with standard pen colours) and then overlay a new drawing for each of the ghost views and make sure that you set those to use the ghost pen set.
You might need to play with the display order so your main plan is on top.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds good!
I guess when I save and place the ghost view to the layout I can change
the active view in the trace reference so that it's barely visible like a ghost view.
I'm going to try it now.

Thanks Matthew
Matthew wrote:
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have both plans on the layout, but don't know how to make one of them
very light gray scale. In order for this to work for me it needs to be so light that it's just barely discernible. Transparent/translucent and very light overlayed on the main plan.
Can this be done?
Matthew wrote:
Barry Kelly
You need to create a new pen set with your very light pens.
Than apply that pen set to the drawing on the layout that you want to show as your ghost.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

Okay, I will try this in the morning.
I have not played with pen sets in the layouts yet.

Thank you

Barry wrote:
Than apply that pen set to the drawing on the layout that you want to show as your ghost.
Barry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

If I start messing around with the colors pen set in the drawing selection settings:
Do I change the colors to grey scale and then change the drawings own pen set. How do you create a pen set for this without disturbing the main pen set used in AC?

Best,

Jon

Barry wrote:
Barry.
Barry Kelly
To create a pen set go to OPTIONS menu > ELEMENT ATTRIBUTES > PENS & COLOURS.
You can select all the pens at once and edit the colour so they are all the same - saves doing each one separately.
You can also change the pen thicknesses but you will probaly want to leave them as they are.

Then store the pen set with the name you want.
Now when you place a drawing on a layout you can set it to use the ghost pen set as shown in the previous image.

You could also save a view of your plan in the view map that uses the ghost pen set.
But this means you might need to duplicate your plan views - one with the standard pen set and another with the ghost pen set.
Changing the pen set used in the "drawing settings" on the layout means that you can place the same view on the layout and change its pen colours without having to create duplicate views of the same plan with different pen colours.
Much of a muchness either way really.

Barry.
ghost_layout_2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

I have a lot to do on this job before I have to worry about the output/publishing. I'm going to concentrate on getting the plans more complete
before I give this a go.

I"m pretty excited about actually being able to do
this and the way you have explained it makes it not so scary:-)
I will be taking a some prints to the city and the owner tomorrow (I think)
So, will probably try doing it tonight some time.

Thank you for the help!

Will let you know how it goes.

Best,

Jon

Barry wrote:
To create a pen set go to OPTIONS menu > ELEMENT ATTRIBUTES > PENS & COLOURS.
You can select all the pens at once and edit the colour so they are all the same - saves doing each one separately.
You can also change the pen thicknesses but you will probaly want to leave them as they are.

Then store the pen set with the name you want.
Now when you place a drawing on a layout you can set it to use the ghost pen set as shown in the previous image.

You could also save a view of your plan in the view map that uses the ghost pen set.
But this means you might need to duplicate your plan views - one with the standard pen set and another with the ghost pen set.
Changing the pen set used in the "drawing settings" on the layout means that you can place the same view on the layout and change its pen colours without having to create duplicate views of the same plan with different pen colours.
Much of a muchness either way really.

Barry.