Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphic override

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to make an elevation graphic override. The goal is to have the load bearing construction to be visible (dashed lines).

So I made everything that is a certain building material appear as dashed and I turned on the transparency to have the interior appear . This works for the most part, but there are certain problems:

1. If I have a composite that contains this building material the whole composite is overridden and becomes dashed not only a part of it.

2. I hid all the non bearing interior walls(via layer combination), but when I have a door on a load bearing wall it appears, but I need it to not appear. I tried to override the pen of those doors to white, but when I have a shadow cast it still is visible.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know a better way to override the load bearing construcion and have only a certain building material be overriden and not the whole composite.
2. Does anyone know how I can not display interior walls?

Question_01.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Why not make a view where you only see the core of loadbearing elements, override the linetype and pen there and place this on top of your normal view in layout (if that is the look you are going for).

You can't override only part of a composite/complex profile sadly.

To hide things, it is better to hide layers and use partial model display options, rather than using graphic override, I would say.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
This sounds good! So basically I make two views one the regular elevation and one with the core of composites only and place them on top each other in the layout?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Yep.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you this solution works. My next question is do I have to make two set of elevation markers in order to have the shadows turned on in the one without the structural override and turned off in the one where I see only the load bearing elements?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Hmm, afraid so, I do not know of a way to override shadows with graphic override, maybe someone else does.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can live without the shadows . Thank you again for the great tip!
Eduardo Rolon
You could try an GO that turns all Materials to AIR so that there are no surfaces for shadows to be projected to.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
This doesn't work very well because it made many overlaps of objects that are behind each other appear.

Thank you however because this gave me the idea to override all the drafting fills to transparent which fixed the issue.