Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Keep several design alternatives in the same file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello to all, I'm new to the forum.

During the initial design phase it frequently happens to have two or three alternative solutions on several design problems.

Let's say I am designing an apartment and I want to show to my client two different bathroom layout or room position, keeping the rest as it is.

Working on two different files is not a solution because I still want, let's say, the living room to be updated on both the plans...

Is there an easy way to keep several design versions in the same file?

Another related example is editing a part of the drawing but keeping a backup copy of the previous design. I don't want to create a new file every time!
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
To keep it all in one file you could try ...

Layers - duplicate layers and turn them on/off for alternative designs.

Modules - save each design as a module that you can swap in and out - again you can have a new master layer for each module that you can turn on/off. This way you only need one extra layer for each module.

Renovation filters - not recommended but some have use existing, new and demo to display up to 3 alternate designs.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Barry for kind reply!!

I would prefer not to duplicate layers because it creates a mess!

I'm going to try the module solution! Never heard about it!

There is also someone using the Model View to swap between versions. I still didn't get exactly how but it look as interesting as your solution!

Here is a screenshot
http://www.lucamanelli.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Versioni_progetto_Viste.jpg

Thanks again
A
Barry Kelly
The views in the View Map simply store a certain layer combination, scale, pen set, MVO combination, reno filter, graphic override, structure display and dimension style.

This allows you to save the same plan with any of these options set differently.
So for example it is the quick way to change between floor plans using different a layer combination that shows the different plan options without having to manually swap the layer combination yourself.
You can then place each of these views on a layout to show each of the alternate designs at the same time.

Using modules allows you to model each of the alternate designs in the same layers but when you place the model you will need only one new layer for each design so that you can place them in this 'master' layer which can be turned on or off as required - again save each design as a new view with a different layer combination.
Each layer combination turns on all your regular layers plus one of the 'master' layers. This way you will have a layer combination for each alternate design and you save multiple views of the plan - each using a different layer combination for your alternate designs.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
I prefer to use the renovation filters for simple options. You are not limited to the three filters. It possible to create variations and then use the "show on current renovation filter only" option.

It will depend on the extent of the various design options which would work best in each case. For room layouts I would look at the renovation or layers option and keep everything in one file.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Andre_Steynberg
Enthusiast
I frequently come across this in a current project of mine (15 different houses in one file), I need to show a different layout to bathrooms or kitchens.

I marquee and copy the room in question to a worksheet, named say Option A or B, do my proposed layout then overlay it on my floor plan.
Once the client agrees to Option A or B, I overlay the trace on my "Live" floor plan and delete the worksheets.
Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27
gpowless
Advocate
What we need is what we once had.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=44562#44562

Looks like it was killed because it wasn't compatible with Teamwork.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Ruben V
Advocate
horeau wrote:
Thank you Barry for kind reply!!
I would prefer not to duplicate layers because it creates a mess!
Not when you use the layer extensions in archicad - or at least it's "less" messy
(òÓ,)_\,,/
www.studiov2.be
Archicad 26/27 + Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM
>>> Read my book!<<<
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like every solution is kind of a workaround. It's a shame they didn't address this need properly. Maybe I should write something in the Wishes area!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
To keep it all in one file you could try ...

Layers - duplicate layers and turn them on/off for alternative designs.

Modules - save each design as a module that you can swap in and out - again you can have a new master layer for each module that you can turn on/off. This way you only need one extra layer for each module.

Renovation filters - not recommended but some have use existing, new and demo to display up to 3 alternate designs.

Barry.
I will investigate the Modules method...I have although a question about annotations:
How annotations behave with modules lets say you have keynotes on one of the details from option A when you swap to Option B what happen to those notes do you need to set up specific layer combinations per option?

Thanks in advance for any help - I started ArchiCAD (v20) 2 months ago after 15 years on Revit...