Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Keeping track of drawn details

Anonymous
Not applicable
In a separate thread, Dwight Atkinson wrote, "How do forum members keep track of drawn details in projects? What I do keep, I keep as a module or a library part. Just to make it easy to preview.... Are there a million three ring binders out there? what? A catalog system? Paper archiving...????"

Our office has tried a number of things: three ring binders, static detail numbers with multiple stories to hold different versions of the detail, and most lately modules). Along the way, we also created a FileMaker database to help us look up past details. Now that detail are being embedded into the building model, we are rethinking our detail archiving. The two strategies being discussed are publishing all details as PDFs or saving all as library parts. The former could have text search using Acrobat, the latter could use AC9's library search function. Our internal discussions are continuing.
26 REPLIES 26
TomWaltz
Participant
I don't see any reason to have a separate file.

Yes, the details should be broken into detail windows if you want Plotmaker to link to them. My firm has one detail per window. Here and there we'll do two or three, but it's pretty rare. Projects range from multi-familt residential to libraries to high-rises (highest so far was 14 stories).

On larger projects (or small ones), it's all about organization. We made up a 10-division numbering scheme that divides steel, MPE, exterior, interior, and a few others. I thought it was shaky when we came up with it, but it's survived unscathed for almost two years. Details are then grouped within that, so details 1201, 1202, and 1203 are all similar/related conditions.

I hope that makes sense. It's been a long f-ing day.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz wrote:
I don't see any reason to have a separate file.

Yes, the details should be broken into detail windows if you want Plotmaker to link to them. <snip>
The only downside is that you can't use the MSA Detailer very effectively, because much of its power comes from the use of wall types to draw plywood, gyp. bd., etc. and these can only be used in a plan window. (I'd love to see this situation corrected soon.)
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
TomWaltz
Participant
It would be nice if you could use the Wall Tool in details for that purpose. I'm not sure I would use it much though since walls generally have the same pen on both sides and I would want a darker pen on one side of the drywall and a lighter on the other... and I would not want a separate composite for each thickness of drywall and plywoord!
Tom Waltz
Is anybody aware of a somehow standard classification system for detail drawings?

The CSI Masterformat numbering system, say, deals with individual systems/components specs. Architectural details are, instead, about how several systems come together at a given point. So is there any equivalent to Masterformat, by CSI or AIA or ISO or DIN or whoever, that somehow works for details?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I'm and old thinker. Putting details of all kinds into individual pln files was the old way. We numbered them according to CSI divisions or sometimes in a "general" category. Then producing PMKs of the files made up PM useable versions. When we were able to use the pln file directly I just linked them. It was easy to use various file types including DWG and PDF to assemble a sheet or two for the types of buildings in the works at the time. Looking forward to being able to insert all kinds in 10, the process should be even simpler. The fact that a detail drawn several years ago that is still good is a good thing and a great ROI.

Since i am now involved in much larger projects in an office of several people, the necessity to be more in control of the filing management and people management means that a better way of cataloging the info is needed. Being able to insert modules is very fast and with publisher very easy, the ability to have a visual method to identify the specific detail is the task. Other than printing up a book, I don't seem to have any other ideas.

Lew Bishop
AC9 US 2219
15" PB 1.5, 1.5G
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now that PM is in AC with AC10 release how does this topic takes a turn?
Joseph
Uniformat is the CSI indexing system meant for details among other things. It stops at the system/assembly level so I guess the individual-detail-drawing-specific index is supposed to be an office convention.

I like the concept they use in the Birkhäuser/Detail Construction Manuals grids, with their German English and all, such as:

3. Masonry wall details
3.1 Flat roof: parapet to warm deck with sheet metal capping
3.1.1 with single-leaf rendered masonry
3.1.2 with partial-fill cavity wall
3.1.3 with full-fill cavity wall
3.2 Flat roof: parapet to warm deck with precast concrete coping
3.2.1 with single-leaf rendered masonry
3.2.2 with partial-fill cavity wall
3.2.3 with full-fill cavity wall
3.3. Flat roof: parapet to warm deck with steel section
3.3.1 with single-leaf rendered masonry
[etc.]