Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Level dimension to sea level

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I get the Level dimension tool to display elevations based on my defined sea level or my 2nd reference level
When I edit the elevation of a point on a mesh, I can choose to what it is measured to, but how do I control what my dimension is referencing?
35 REPLIES 35
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
andyro wrote:
I am flabbergasted that it still isn't working for you! This shouldn't be an article of faith! It's a standard practice in our office, and became so useful for veryfing civil's work, we ended up making accurate meshes just for this purpose alone, then the practice migrated to doing level dimensions to top of slab for roof and parking levels. I don't know what else I can say.
Can you please upload a PLN, even if it just contains the mesh and levels. Feel free to purge everything else out to strip it down to size, including the book, stories, attributes etc.

Thanks mate.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
andy - it's not just because you're offsetting the mesh's own reference plane is it?!

i have a feeling it's something to do with the mesh's own absolute base height and how you offset your height values from that . . .

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I am trying from square one to reproduce this.... what I am finding, is by creating a mesh at project zero, sea level at -60', gravity on, set to reference level, the markers show zero, which is what you are finding.

Last time I did civil verification, I was sure (not so sure now) this was with 9... I specifically remember Mathew telling me the whole project needed to be dropped to sea level to get accurat e markers, which I thought was retarded - so I started messing around (and found something that worked), but now I am finding the same results as you are, referencing to project zero. I am pretty sure I didn't drop meshes, switch the markers to static or explode or anything like that, I will need to mess around some more, and open up some older files, I will let you know what I find tomorrow, but for now, you are both right, it isn't working...

The mesh in that mod file was placed down low....does that proviso (for reference only all measurements taken from project zero) exist in the working units on an installation of 9 also?
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Andy Thomson
Advisor
In fact, it might have been that I dropped the meshes, placed the markers, switched to static, and re-elevated, but have to do forensics now to be sure.
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
I am trying from square one to reproduce this.... what I am finding, is by creating a mesh at project zero, sea level at -60', gravity on, set to reference level, the markers show zero, which is what you are finding.?
hmm. if it really doesn't work, it needs to!

i'm going to try some experimenting later with placing the mesh base level relative to the various 'z' levels yet keeping their surfaces all at the same height relative to each other. this might yield some answers . . .

there is also the method of defining the mesh points relative to the various 'z' levels too, which might have some effect . . .

intrigued now . . . !

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Well, opening these old PLNs sure is resulting in a nice string of crashes. I give up for now.
Director
Andy Thomson
Advisor
A hint (yes, in this file they were custom textified, but not in others), that only deepens the mystery...does anyone know what <L1value> is? It actually changes the dimension value, not just the text prefix.
Director
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
andyro wrote:
does anyone know what <L1value> is?
It's the first level reference autotext. It will read the relative dimension to the first reference level.

Cheers,
Link.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Well, I know this isn't what I did before, but find and select will pick up the custom text portion and allow conversion of all selected dynamic level markers to L1 or L2 readings...so it isn't necessary to change one by one at least...which brings me right back to your first post here...!
Director
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi guys.

I want to revive this topic because I found something very interesting today.
I must admit that it happened by accident.

Basically what I found is that you can select all Level Dimensions or as many as you want (or use Find and Select on it), then, when they are selected, add to the selection one of the Dimension Texts of the selected Level Dimensions. In the Info Box the settings of the Dimension Text appears (but the number of selected elements will remain the same) and at this point you can enter the Settings Dialog for the Dimension Text and make changes, which changes will be applied to all Dimension Texts of all selected Level Dimensions.

So I think this was the missing step (I almost said missing Link )) of the equation.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27