cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Major dimension Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I'd share this to see if anyone else knows about this and see if it's happening to them.

Dimensioning: I draw a straight line. Using the "x-y direction" setting of the dimension tool, I try and dimension the line, but all I get is an option for an angled dimension. See attached screenshot. It's very annoying not to be able to dimension a darn straight line!!!!!! Yes, you can still do it using the "any direction" setting, but that's not the point...

I just reported this to Graphisoft North America and after a bit of explaining, he tried it and said it looks like a bug. I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet (as far as I know).

screen.jpg
12 REPLIES 12
I was able to reproduce the problem with a rotated grid. However, in your screen shot it does not look like your grid is rotated. It could be some other grid setting.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the official response from Graphisoft. Yes, it is the rotated grid, but it is also a bug and should not be happening.

"Here is another workaround for the dimension problem:
- Go to View/Grid Options/Grids and background...
- Set "Rotation Angle" to 0.

The bug is that that rotation angle determines the direction of dimensions, even if the rotated grid is otherwise turned off. I have recorded this bug."
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve,

My grid is on as you can see from the screenshot. GS says it's a bug. The message is from Greg Kmethy.
I edited my post too late. But I do not see this as a bug since we have the Any Direciton option. Notice the X-Y only icon. By virtue of the dots, it indicates to me that the dimensions are relative to the grid.

I can't think of a situation where dimenison relative to a rotated grid would be useful but perhaps someone else can.
dimensions any direction.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is something they are likely to address in the hotfix, coming out "sometime this fall".
Ted Taylor
Contributor
Thanks for the post on this. I had this show up a few weeks back, but had not had an opportunity until this morning to sit down and try to figure out what bone head move that I had made that caused the problem. The grid was my first suspect, but it was not rotated (but the rotation angle was set to 45º) so I thought something was corrupted in the particular file or my environments. A couple of hours messing with it, and your post shows up at lunch which saved me an afternoon of screwing around with it.

Thanks again!
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
How do I fix it? I was fooling arround to see if I could reproduce the problem and I did. Now I don't know how to fix it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
From what I understand from GS, it is a bug that links the dimension tool to the rotated grid, even though the rotated grid is turned off.

That's why it wasn't allowing me to dimension horizontally or vertically: it was thinking that I had the rotated grid turned on and set to 45 degrees. If you follow Greg's directions and set the rotated grid to 0 degrees, then it thinks you have the rotated grid on but set to 0.

If you are using the rotated grid, the x-y direction dimension tool should work fine.
Thats a bug for sure. To fix it reset the rotated grid.

So how is this possible? Notice the rotated grid and placing an X-Y Only dimension.