Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Model View Option - Presentation grey fill color?

rob2218
Enthusiast
where I adjust just how "dark" or "light" grey color in the "Presentation Model View Option" is?

Presentation fill color adjustment.png
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
14 REPLIES 14
rob2218
Enthusiast
thank you Lasz and SinceV6....that was exactly where I needed to be.
I'm trying to setup AC18 on a new clients system and didn't want the comment to come back as "Why is that section fill cut SOOOooo dark"...so I'm trying to anticipate these initial knee-jerk responses to graphics at the very inception of a new project.
Hopefully this new client (architect whom I'm providing new support for) will be pleased with AC's ability to display graphics properly without having to spend 4 hours hunting and pecking for one radio button parameter.....again guys (the both of you!)....thank you oh so much.

Lasz, if you are a drinkin man...you earn a beer too.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.

Well... not so fast.
This works because you are using solid fills for the walls and slabs. As per the setting name "Cut Fills - as in Settings", if you use a vectorial fill, it will display as such, but with the pens defined in that section's setting.

You could either use the other settings of that parameter (say, uniform surface) and work from there (that one, for example, may help you define a single surface to fill cut elements in all your sections) or you could play around with the model view options (override cut fills) + pensets to display what you want the way you want.

Best regards.
rob2218
Enthusiast
uhh...ok...now totally confused.
basically I need to create a "look" where the when you switch from "Presentation solid" to "Construction Document" it reads as it is reading...lines, vectoral hatches, skins in CD MVO display, and outline with grey interior fill in Presentation MVO......or am I missing something here?

I mean....it can't be as complex as I need to adjust every single dang BM or Composite I create.....right!?
sinceV6 wrote:
Hi.

Well... not so fast.
This works because you are using solid fills for the walls and slabs. As per the setting name "Cut Fills - as in Settings", if you use a vectorial fill, it will display as such, but with the pens defined in that section's setting.

You could either use the other settings of that parameter (say, uniform surface) and work from there (that one, for example, may help you define a single surface to fill cut elements in all your sections) or you could play around with the model view options (override cut fills) + pensets to display what you want the way you want.

Best regards.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
sinceV6
Advocate
Guess I lost my beer now.

You are not missing anything. You said it yourself. You need to CREATE a look. I will require some work like everything else but, once correctly setup, it should work great.

What you are trying to accomplish can be done, like I said, using a combination of MVO + Pensets. They are both kind of an override representation for each element: you are not altering any element's properties, just the way they look. Say you define a wall that uses certain BM (that has a fill and pen setting), you change how that fill looks in your presentation MVO and the color for the pen with pensets, without changing either from the BM setting. Once CD phase starts, just revert MVO to final (and original) BM representation.

In this scenario, I'd say the best overall workflow is the one that doesn't use that section setting, as it overrides representation per section (it IS useful sometimes for specific sections) and it means it is not flexible for what you need (you'd need to check it for presentations and uncheck it for CD). The wise thing is to set each element to have its BM (with fill and pens) and pens (color and weight) accordingly.

It all depends on workflow and what you want in the end.

Of course it needs a little work. There is no magic button or setting for this... well... in a way, those are all magic buttons that you need to combine to set up your views.

Best regards.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So, to summarize, you want to achieve a look in which cut surfaces in all Sections are displayed as a simple light gray fill as shown on the left side of this images you posted:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com//files/presentation_fill_color_adjustment_233.png

You would also like to be able to do this by specifying a Model View Option Combination so that later whenever you want to achieve this look you just switch to that Model View Option Combination.

Let's take a very simple case: You have a basic Wall, its Building Material (BM) is "Brick", its Fill type is "Common Brick", and the Cut Fill Foreground Pen defined for this Building Material in the Building Material Dialog is Pen 20 (Red).
In your Section you want to see this cut structure as a solid light gray fill with Pen 92 (light gray) whenever you switch to the Presentation Graphics MVO Combo.

There are several things you can do:

1. In the MVO Dialog, check the Override Cut Fills checkbox, and use the Solid Foreground option. Also, you go to the Building Materials Dialog and change the Cut Fill Foreground Pen setting of the "Brick" BM to Pen 92. (You would also have to change the Cut Fill Foreground Pen setting of all other BMs so that they are all light gray and when the MVO Combo is activate all those cut surfaces are displayed as a solid light gray in Sections. If all you want to do is switch to this MVO Combo, then you have to redefine Cut Fill Foreground Pen setting of all BMs.

2. In the MVO Dialog, check the Override Cut Fills checkbox, and use the Solid Foreground option. Then, you check in the Building Materials Dialog what Pens are used for the Cut Fill Foreground Pens of BMs. Then you go to the Pen Sets Dialog and you redefine all those Pens to a light gray color. Hopefully there are not that many Pens you have to redefine. In this case, again the Cut Fill Foreground Pens of all BMs will be light gray so when you activate the MVO Combo, they will be displayed as solid light gray fills.

3. In the MVO Dialog, check the Override Cut Fills checkbox, and use the Solid Foreground option. Then go to the Section Settings Dialog, in the Model Display panel, use the "Cut Fills - as in Settings" option for the "Fill Cut Surfaces with" field, check the "Uniform Pen for Cut Elements" checkbox, then set the "Cut Fill Pen" field to a light gray pen like Pen 92. Setting this setting, in combination with setting the MVO Combo will result in the desired result you are after.
However, in this 3rd case, this setting will affect only that given Section, so you would have to do it for all Sections you wish to see this result.
Also, if you switch the MVO Combo back to no override of cut fulls, they will be displayed as their Fill Types as defined in the BM Dialog, but with the Uniform Pen you set in the Section Settings Dialog. You would have to uncheck the "Uniform Pen for Cut Elements" checkbox to make them displayed with their original Cut Fill Pens.
So you can either select all Sections in the Project Map and keep checking and unchecking this "Uniform Pen for Cut Elements" checkbox, or you can create two sets of Sections, one with the "Uniform Pen for Cut Elements" checkbox checked, and the other with the checkbox unchecked.

I can understand where your wish might come from because in the Filter and Cut Elements in 3D Dialog you can set Cut Surfaces to be displayed with a Custom Pen and BM.
The desired mode of operation could be achieved if there was a similar option in the MVO Dialog as well for the Override Cut Fills field: a Custom Solid Pen checkbox, plus a field for specifying that custom Pen.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27