Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF Shrink & Concatentate

Bruce
Expert
With the good ol' Amyuni converter, I could select multiple layouts in the layout book, then print them at 50%, all concatenated into the one file.

How do I do this with the new PDF converter?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
18 REPLIES 18
Bruce
Expert
Thanks for your replies guys.

Thomas: you're quite right - duplicating Masters for a temporary purpose is not efficient, and double-printing a pdf to shrink it to size is doubling up on effort.

David: the problem with your suggestion is that this option is set with a printer driver...the new PDF converter is not a printer driver and ignores these settings.

I'll keep on using the Amyuni.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Djordje
Ace
Let's put the shoe on the other foot:

WHY would you want to shrink the PDFs?

If you do shrink them, they will become unreadable. So if anyone needs half size print of your big size PDF, that can be done while printing the PDF.

I might have missed the point, but still don't understand why shrink the PDF at all.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Djordje wrote:

If you do shrink them, they will become unreadable. So if anyone needs half size print of your big size PDF, that can be done while printing the PDF.

I might have missed the point, but still don't understand why shrink the PDF at all.
Djorde, for normal PDFs from Archicad, with vector content only, the PDFs generated are small and excellent.

But when they contain big bitmaps, like when the only existing site plan is a big scanned file, and you on top of that need to use it transparent, the PDFs may become unmanageably big if you need to email the layout book for the client to print, or if your printer doesn't like it. At least not all my clients have emailboxes that don't blink when they get emailed files in the range of 10MB or more.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Here. This will solve all of your documentaion problems with PDF converters. Use the Acrobat.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=acrobat%5Fpro%5Fextended

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Thomas Holm
Booster
Steve,

I can't point to Acrobat from the Archicad Publisher.

On the other hand, since Nemetschek AG already has partnered with Adobe, I wouldn't be surprised if true Adobe PDF is already on it's way.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Djordje wrote:

Djorde, for normal PDFs from Archicad, with vector content only, the PDFs generated are small and excellent.

But when they contain big bitmaps, like when the only existing site plan is a big scanned file, and you on top of that need to use it transparent, the PDFs may become unmanageably big if you need to email the layout book for the client to print, or if your printer doesn't like it. At least not all my clients have emailboxes that don't blink when they get emailed files in the range of 10MB or more.
I agree with Djorde. It's better to size the page in acrobat when final printing occurs and not when publishing from ArchiCAD.

File size can be dealt with after the fact with Acrobat Professional, or if files are still too large to email - with web delivery services like yousedit.com.
Bruce
Expert
Dom wrote:
I agree with Djorde. It's better to size the page in acrobat when final printing occurs and not when publishing from ArchiCAD.

File size can be dealt with after the fact with Acrobat Professional, or if files are still too large to email - with web delivery services like yousedit.com.
...except when your client wants them at 50% size...

I agree there are many ways to skin this cat, but I found that the Amyuni allowed for the most convenient way.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Djordje
Ace
Bruce wrote:
Dom wrote:

...except when your client wants them at 50% size...

I agree there are many ways to skin this cat, but I found that the Amyuni allowed for the most convenient way.
Then print the PDF to PDF at 50%.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Bruce
Expert
Djordje wrote:
Then print the PDF to PDF at 50%.
You haven't been following this thread, have you? My original post was to see if that could be done with the new PDF converter...which it can't.

The new PDF converter will only save to PDF - you require the Amyuni converter to print to PDF. Hence this discussion.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --