Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Possible to change the origin of a layout?

JGoode
Expert
Hello,
I have locked elements on my layouts that I don't want to move if I change from say A3 to A1. Is it possible to change the origin of a layout so that when I switch from one size to another, my object doesn't move. e.g move origin from bottom left to bottom right

Thanks
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I an not aware of any way think could be done. The Origin is always at the lower left corner of the Layout and its size changes so its lower left corner always stays at the origin.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you are changing layout size, you would be changing masters, so put the object on the master layouts?

Only works unless it is specific to the layout.

However we do have a few common used master layout pages (with site plan, without site plan, etc). Just set them up once in the template and you're good to go.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
The master layout settings also contains the anchor point position for that master.
The origin will still show in the lower left corner and the page will increase from there as well, but everything in the master and placed on the layouts using that master will anchor to the point you choose in the master settings.

So if you choose the top/right corner as the anchor and you change the page size, everything will be positioned in the top/right corner of the new page - although the page origin is still the lower/left corner.
i.e. everything will be anchored to the anchor point set in the master settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry, thanks for the info, I was not aware you could do that in Master Layout Settings.
I learned something today.

On the other hand, it seems to be based on a different logic than the Floor Plan Viewpoint. In the Floor Plan Viewpoint, the Project Origin is always at the same location, no way to change it.
On a Master Layout, however, its seems that first, the Master Layout's extents are generated based on its Anchor Point location and defined Master Layout size, then the Origin is placed in its lower left corner. I think the Anchor Point should define the Master Layout's Origin relative to its extents, so if you select, for example, the upper right corner of the Master Layout to be its Anchor Point, then the Origin should be there and the Master Layout's geometry should extend to the left and downward from there.
With the current solution the Master's Origin position and its Anchor Point setting are totally unrelated (regardless where the Anchor Point is set to be, the Origin is always in the lower left corner), which seems illogical to me.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
I wonder if it has something to do with printing.
The bottom/left corner of the page has to remain consistent otherwise the printing will be all over the place?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Title block is generally bottom right, maybe that is the preferred corner?

Personally I try to make a layout from bottom left and if things don't fit, I go for the next sheet size master, so for me bottom left works fine.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
JGoode
Expert
Thanks for the replies. Doesn't seem possible to achieve what I'm after.
The reason why I can't add the object to the masters is because it needs to be 'clickable'.
The issue comes when switching from an A1 master to an A3 master for example... The object moves as the master is changed from the bottom left no matter what.

Unfortunately I haven't found any way to solve this

Thanks again
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Barry Kelly
It might be easier if you can show an image of what you have.

If I set up an A1 master with the origin in the bottom right corner and then change page size to A2, everything stays locked to the bottom right corner.
It doesn't all fit on the page of course because it is now smaller.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
JGoode
Expert
Barry wrote:
It might be easier if you can show an image of what you have.

If I set up an A1 master with the origin in the bottom right corner and then change page size to A2, everything stays locked to the bottom right corner.
It doesn't all fit on the page of course because it is now smaller.

Barry.
I'm not sure I explained clearly. In my layouts (not masters), I use the master layouts as templates. I place my object on the layout (not the master layout) in the title box. If for whatever reason someone decides they need to change that layout from our A2 master to a A3 master, the object stays where it is which ends up being the wrong place. So I either need to have an object on the master which can be clicked (not possible as far as I know) or set the origin of my layout when switching the master layout to be the bottom right corner.

I hope this makes a little more sense!
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10