Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Using modules for different projects in the same building

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using a module to develop the plans for a small project inside a much larger building. I have done and continue to do projects for this client and I needed a way to break it into smaller pieces. I set up the file and copied the 2d elements from the master drawing file. My question pertains to what I can format within the Module. I set up different views (floor plan, ceiling plan) and I rotated the grid because the building arcs and this part is rotated 16 degrees off horizontal. Problem occurs after I save and reopen the module all views are gone and the grid has rotated back. Even the worksheets, master layout and the drawings I created are gone.

It seems that you can't set modules up to perform like mini-projects, with their own views, and drawings, but must use the master file instead. True?
8 REPLIES 8
Hobbesnb
Booster
Module files (.mod) don't contain the information that you're looking to retain. They are strictly 2D/3D models (whatever you had selected at the time to created it). You can hotlink PLNs into a project the same as Modules, but they will have the extra information you're looking to retain. The benefit of modules is their small file size BECAUSE they don't have all the extra information contained within a .PLN file. Instead of saving the modules as .MOD files, save them as .PLNs and hotlink them.
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. How's work in Reading?
Hobbesnb
Booster
Things are a bit lean, but keeping fairly steady (thankfully)!

Principal | BIM Manager

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you on LinkedIn, and how did you join in 1969? Was your computer clock on the blink that day?
Hobbesnb
Booster
Nick,
there's a linkedin link in my profile.

I don't know how i got that date on my information, but i don't know how to change it. Perhaps one day i'll try to get GS to fix it, but it's still entertaining to me for now.

Principal | BIM Manager

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you set up different layer combinations in a MOD file? I seem to loose my layer combinations and even some of the layers themselves and now the MOD file isn't updating changes I make to the main PLN file when I save both.
Hobbesnb
Booster
Nope.

Layer combinations are only relevant to views, and views don't exist in modules. The reason you're losing layers out of the .MOD file is because .MODs only save information required for what is modeled or drawn, nothing extraneous. PLNs and the MODs derived from them are not linked though.

It sounds to me like you want to just use very ligntweight PLN files (strip out all unnecessary views/layouts/worksheets etc.) and use the PLNs as hotlinks instead of MOD files.

Principal | BIM Manager

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's what I was starting to think. Thanks. It sound like you would have to set up a module for every plan-view you needed.