cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall Label That References Wall Surface

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get or how to customize a Wall Label so that i can have it displaying the Surface of that wall. These would mainly be used in elevation views where i want to document the claddings being used.

Currently i have labels with custom text which i edit and manually input the surface that it is pointing too. I have tried making a few with the some of the preloaded labels but couldn't get the desired outcome.
This image shows my desired label but with manually edited text.
46 REPLIES 46
fuzzytnth3
Booster
As you were I think I have found what I'm after in the IFC Space and the User Defined bit is tucked away in the Add Parameters section
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
fuzzytnth3
Booster
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
As you were I think I have found what I'm after in the IFC Space and the User Defined bit is tucked away in the Add Parameters section
Oh well while I can get the Zone info it seems you can not access an individual parameter from an object. In this case Door 18 the parameter called gs_list_custom1 isn't listed in the Add Parameters section.

Also is it just me but does doing this really slow down ArchiCAD because when I select a Door and edit it's settings it takes a long time to display the settings?
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If I understand correctly, in the IFC Scheme Setup Dialog, when you define a new custom IFC Property and you define the Rule Content, you do not have to click the Add Parameter button to use the value of an Object parameter. You have to click the down-pointing arrow at the right of the Add Parameters button and select the Add Object Parameters button.
Then, in the upcoming Dialog, search for the "Door 18" object and select the User Defined 1 parameter.
Then it will appear among the IFC properties for the Door and you will be able to list its value in the General Label.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Thanks Laszlo I missed that, it is now working the way I wanted it and it avoids using a workaround that I had come up with using Property Objects!.
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Bill
Contributor
This is a really great tip!

I got the label to show the surface name... but I can't stretch the leader or move the arrow. It does stretch and move if I add a second line of information to the label, but I don't want/need a second line.

Any help?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Hi Laszlo

I have moved up to AC19 and I'm trying to do the same as I did in AC18 using the Generic 18 Label but it doesn't seem to have the same "Additional Content" setting. Should I be using a different Label object?

tia
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In ARCHICAD 19 you need to use the "Tags and Categories Label 19" Label.

A bit of explanation why:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=245297#245297
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Thanks for that and I have had a try using for example the Tags and Categories Label but it doesn't appear to let me link to a new IFC property/Rule that I have created which I could do with the old AC18 Generic Label.

I have two uses one is displaying the surface material of a roof and its roof pitch. The other displays a Door Type Reference and its Room Number but I haven't as yet found a way for AC19 to do the same as I did in AC18
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Works for me just fine.
Remember that first you have to place the Label, then, when it is associated with the Wall, can you go to the Label Settings Dialog and set it to display the custom IFC Property of the Wall.
Before the placement of the Label the parameters of the Wall will not be available to be selected since the Label does not yet know what element's parameters to display (since it is not associated with an element yet).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any idea how to implement this with Complex Profile wall?
Skin List Label works quite well with Complex Profiles, so I guess it would be possible to extract the first or the last building material via WALL_SKINS_BMAT_NAMES (i=first or last), but according to this post, it's not possible(?) to request surface material from building material. In my case, I actually find the building materials much more appropriate to describe the finishing of facade material, because it's a material (i.e brick), not a surface (color of the brick?).
Nevertheless, this doesn't work via the properties that are available for the IFC labeling, so I guess it should be implemented by custom GDL label. Unfortunately, this is above my GDL paygrade, and as it doesn't work with the columns (visible finished exterior complex profile elements), it's so far not really a useful method, if somebody doesn't have any other ideas?

edit:
Furthermore, Complex Profiles can have many visible building materials, which would mean different labels pointing to the correct parts of the wall with the corresponding building ,or surface, material. This seems quite impossible, so I guess I'm forced to create custom project info fields to have information centrally managed (autotext) without changing facade finishing materials (surfaces) label descriptions on every elevation or section manually. Or is there a more intelligent solution to achieve this?