Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

editing labels very un-easy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there an easy way of editing the arrow for independent text labels? In other CAD software you just click on the arrow head and move it to point to whatever.... in Archicad I have to delete the whole text label, and make a place a whole new one.

Surely there is an easier way .... I'm spending hours just to tweak my annotations.
12 REPLIES 12
Vitruvius
Booster
??? Hours tweaking your annotations without resorting to the user guide - what a shameful waste of time???

Actually when you select the label there are hotspots which can be used to drag the arrow or text to a new configuration. Just make sure that the labels tool is active on the menu bar after you've selected the label to be edited (basically just like editing all the other elements).

Now go and put those hours to better use.

Cheers
Cameron Hestler, Architect
Archicad 27 / Mac Studio M1 Max - 32 GB / LG24" Monitors / 14.5 Sonoma
Karl Ottenstein
rondari wrote:
Is there an easy way of editing the arrow for independent text labels?
I don't use the label tool for annotation, except for the rare case where I want an associative auto-label. I use the text tool and an arrow-headed spline, as I prefer the drawing freedom provided by these...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jefferson
Participant
I'm with Karl on this........it's all text blocks and arrows/lines as needed here, placing them on the layer you deem most appropriate.

Vitruvius, I agree reading the manual FIRST is the best plan, I'm assuming you were being sarcastic with your "shameful" comment, the occasional emoticon will help to illustrate that............ actions that seem obvious to some are total mysteries to others. I come here for help and actually enjoy having some fun poked at me but don't want to see anyone "dissed" therein discouraged. Just my 2 cents
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
The method Karl suggested is actually the method I defaulted to ......... make the separate text separate from the arrow.

I just tried out modifying the arrow ............. works well, it is just a shame that when one is modifying the knee of the arrow the text moves with it .... it means that I then have to move my text again.... just a minor useability comment.
Aussie John
Newcomer
I have to disagree with Karl andf Jeff. I dont think the flexibility of the text and spline method outweighs the convenience of using the label to annotate.
1) it is quick
2) moves as a unit
3) can use "adjust" to align all the text
4) you dont get word breaking across wrapping breaks like the text tool does
5) can change mutliple version of the annotation with one edit in the setting dialog

on the down side annotating on the left side of things produces poor visual alignment but I am prepared to wear that. Also labels dont group.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Vitruvius
Booster
I think I'd go with John here - I find the Label tool very useful. It does, however, need some refinement in terms of left hand side alignments.

But basically, either method works fine and and both are quick and easy to implement.

Cheers.

PS. Jefferson - I most definitely was not being sarcastic. Rondari had complained about "spending hours just to tweak my annotations". Rather than waste time, it's better to check the User Manual / ask online and move onto something else (ie coffee & newspaper) until you've got an answer.
Cameron Hestler, Architect
Archicad 27 / Mac Studio M1 Max - 32 GB / LG24" Monitors / 14.5 Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also find the label tool very useful. One move will adjust both the text and leader line and a separate point controls the arrow head. My only issue is I would like an option to have the leader line split the the first line of text versus come off the top of the text block. This seems like a very easy fix for graphisoft. I am sure drawing standards very but it would be nice to have the option of what is the most common standard in the US.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I realise this topic is a bit old now, but I just wanted to say thanks to Aussie John. I hadn't ever really realised that labels wouldn't group and was checking the forum to see if this was actually the case; found out that it was and in the bargain found the little handy hint that labels can use adjust. Amazing There's always something you didn't know. Thanks John

And by the way Mike (or anyone else needing this), another way to get around the leader line coming off the top of the text is to switch the pointer settings to come of the middle and then with multi-line text you can add empty returns top or bottom for right or left hand notes and get the leader to come off the middle of the first line of text for notes to the right or the middle of the last line of text for notes to the left.

This at least is a standard way of noting in Australia.

Again minor problems occur with notes on the left of things:- if you have a column of text that you're justifying to the left, but one of the multi-line notes points right then the leader line doesn't come all the way to the last word (if the last line isn't the longest).
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I agree that labels are very easy to use and maintain, even though they do have a few alignment quirks. (Maybe wishing for a text sub-element edit in the pet palette so that we can move our text independently around out leader is in order?).

In AC9 Labels are even easier to edit. And don't forget that label favorites remember the text, so with enough of them set up, you don't even need to write anything!

Cheers,
Link.