cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

new drafting standard.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I kind of like to question conventions. Disclaimer. my office has 5 partners with 5 different philosophies on drafting standards so i am jaded.

I am curious if there is anyone out there that prints to color for their final documents. For example you could use color to distinguish demolition, existing and new.

I'm trying to think of disadvantages. But the biggest one is printing to color. And some people are colorblind. maybe because some people don't have the $$ or printers to produce that i floor plan sheet.
n house. But the advantages drawings with huge amounts of information would be increased legibility and the ability to portray more information in one

what do you think? would the more options color provides help or do we have enough with lineweights and fills?
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not sure about the US and other countries but in Australia we have standard colours for different materials. We do coloured elevations, plans, etc to show the actual colours. For details we are now trying a different approach.

For details we use the finest lines possible and use colours to differentiate materials. This does a number of things including making the drawings look presentable with fine lines and also being able to enlarge the detail to whatever size the Contractor requires on their computers. I attach an example. This saves on redoing details at smaller and larger scales.

Interesting topic.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow... yeah. Divorcing one's self from the concept of 'line weights' is really a big leap. Graeme... you're old enough to remember hours of practicing line weights and lettering in Arch school, right?

Still - the arguments, particularly in today's digital world, are compelling. That said, in the USA, at least in residential work, contractors are working from printed documents so resizing is not up to them. Also, color printing is a little more expensive. Seems silly, but hey... on a high-end job, I might have 20 or 30 large sheets in the set, and printing bills can reach astronomical amounts. Finally, it's popular over here to print different phases of work on different colored PAPERS, which would naturally wreak havoc with color output.

The thing I've found myself questioning most is drawing SCALE. Sometimes, on buildings with complex layered wall assemblies, I wish the floor plan was 1:24 instead of the standard 1:48. The only problem is that you end up with having the floor plans occupying two or three sheets each, along with a smaller scale 'overall plan'. I feel like our drawings are getting unmanageably dense as it is.

Hmmm.. gotta'' think about that.

What I'd really like to see is the contractor having a digital model on the job site, which may be a reality in some locales, but sadly not here. It would need to incorporate specifications, too. Maybe just give him / her a PLA file and show 'em how it navigates, etc.

Either way, the best way to be sure our buildings come out correctly is proper on-site supervision which is sorely lacking in the American residential scene.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dave, Yes I learnt all about line weights at uni and it was hard to let them go. They look good on a printed drawing.

However with computer models and drawings it is possible to zoom in and see all the detail and what we as architects are doing is communicating our design requirements to the Owners and Contractors. Fine lines and colours do that better than a mix of ever increasing line weights that just look a blur when viewed at close quarters in my opinion.

Drawings make up part of the Contract between the Owner and Contractor and if the drawings are detailed there is less misunderstanding and it is easier for all concerned to see if the building is being built correctly on the building site.

Handing over the building model to the Contractor I am frightened to do. I am fussy at drawing and modelling but the level of accuracy with models as part of the Contract will be complex and so time consuming the Owner won't be able to afford the cost in my opinion! Hopefully it will get easier to model so the model can become part of the deal.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Handing over the building model to the Contractor I am frightened to do. I am fussy at drawing and modelling but the level of accuracy with models as part of the Contract will be complex and so time consuming the Owner won't be able to afford the cost in my opinion! Hopefully it will get easier to model so the model can become part of the deal.
and with that you completely sink one of the big reasons for BIM....an issue industry needs to address at a very high level so practitioners have some certainty with regard to liability.

When seen in the light of compatibility - which typically requires the use of translators, there is even more exposure to liability. e.g. I export my file as an IFC - and lose some data, or something does not export quite correctly.... And then the receiver who gets it relies on a translator to pull the data into their software...who certifies that? Scary stuff but very real.

Software manufacturers typically guarantee very little - and so it is this issue that really creates a conundrum for an industry basing itself on ever increasingly complex models. When it all gets "too hard" you can see why some regulators are starting to insist on one software.........
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow. thanks Graeme! It's nice to see someone who is actually doing it. I'm guessing this method is easier than managing lineweights and more legible. which begs the question to me, why aren't more people doing it.

Dave - Yeah, printing costs are significant and we are moving towards digital models on the site. I can just picture a contractor with a 11x17 tablet that navigates the entire project model in 3d as well as all of the flattened 2d documents! not too far away. I intend to start doing that now with my ipad2! Now if GS will just make a plugin for ipad.

rwallis - interesting problem. liability. meh. i'm not afraid, i must be ignorant
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In Hungary you have to print the documentation in many copies, many times in 10-12 copies so the Client get 2-3 copies, each authority involved get their copy, the Architect keeps a copy.
We always printed one copy and got it copied with the cheapest possible method.

But in my country fees are very low and competition is high. So the project would have to pay very well in order to afford colored documents.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
For those Aussies interested in the colours of the sections these are nominated in Australian Standard AS1100.301-2008. Some of the common colours are red for brick, deep hooker's green for concrete, olive green for concrete blocks, sepia for earth, cobalt blue for glass, etc.

We find more and more that we give contractors PDF prints rather than paper prints. They then print the drawings as they require and it is then no direct cost to us or our clients. We are foregoing our copyright but figure we would rather have someone else spending their time printing drawings other than us. After all is said and done all we get out of printing financially is a little above cost of printing.

We provide printed copies for authorities applications, for clients, and contract sets but the rest we send as PDF's.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oh. Graeme I like that even more. Let other people bear the time and expense of printing. Nice

laszlonagy, yes I see the implications for costs being simply not worthwhile in such projects. We have some of those projects as well, usually it is with government related work where we need so many copies. it would be impractical to print those in color, this is true here in AK as well.

this is my face when we print out drawings & specifications for a school project or the like. reams and reams of paper.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I like to work on the assumption that, even if there is colour on the plotted drawing, it has to be able to be read in monochrome. Particularly since, if the drawings are issued as PDFs, we have no control over how they look once printed - and since colour prints are substantially more expensive here than b&w (x10!), it's more than likely that the drawings will be distributed on site without the benefit of colour.