Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

some newbie workflow questions regarding text/dimensions/flows etc.. Where to add...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Evaluating AC for a possible client, and have some questions regarding workflow.
Especially on the part of drawing that deals with additional information.
I did watch a bunch of starter videos, and browsed the forum but haven't seen this explained so far.
Sory if the below is obvious, or please reply with some links 😉

So how do people deal with text, dimensioning, elevation/floorplan lines etc.?
This because of the differences in (text) scale when using another scale for a drawing representation.

So...
1. In your project map you set up the stories etc, and create the drawing for the story(s) here
2. in the corresponding 'view map' of that story you set a scale, and then add all the colors, text, dimensioning, fills etc. to complete all the information needed for that story?
3. you copy a finished view map and set a different visible scale and adjust text heights etc. to match this other scale?

Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding something?

cheers for any replies,

rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

As you have realised, annotation will seem to resize and need to be moved around for various scales.

So, I would have separate layers for annotation at different scales.

If you want a 1:50 plan, you turn on the 1:50 annotation layers.

For 1:20 plan, turn on the 1:20 annotation layers.

Generally at different scales you will want to show an different amount of information.

So having different annotation layers allows you to move the text around and show more or less information

It would be pointless having exactly the same information in plans at different scales.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

For the different annotation, set up a layer for each scale or purpose of the annotation.

So simplistically, you would have a plan annotation layer, a site annotation layer, another for electrical plan, maybe landscaping, HVAC, etc.

You might want to split these further into plan 1:100, plan 1:50, details 1:50, details 1:20, details 1:10, etc.

Control these layers with a layer combination, so you have your main model layers active and turn on/off the correct annotation layers.

You can create as many views in the view map as you need for each view point from the project map.

For each view you can save with different scale, and corresponding layer combination, so you see exactly what you want to see.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply.

I still am a bit fuzzy on the various annotation stuff.
Say I set up a drawing for 1:50 with dimension lines, grid lines, text etc. in various layers. This all looks good for the scale intended. All set up nicely in various layers for presentation purposes.

Now I want to create a 1:20 version of the drawing. So I set the scale to 1:20 and set up a new layer combination for this scale as well.
The text height of the various 1:50 annotations will not match the scale of the drawing (text height too small), or in the case of dimensions probably have to move around. (now too spread apart)

Do I have to redo all this previous annotation work now?

Can I copy everything, move it to another layer and adjust text heights etc. for the new scale? And then switch the visibility for the proper layers for the new scale?

For the occasional dimension line or annotation for smaller scales (< 1:200) it's not a big problem, but for annotations that are in all scale versions of a drawing that is a lot of 'double entries'. Especially when you have a lot of separate stories & scales.

Hope this makes it more clear.

rob

Solution

As you have realised, annotation will seem to resize and need to be moved around for various scales.

So, I would have separate layers for annotation at different scales.

If you want a 1:50 plan, you turn on the 1:50 annotation layers.

For 1:20 plan, turn on the 1:20 annotation layers.

Generally at different scales you will want to show an different amount of information.

So having different annotation layers allows you to move the text around and show more or less information

It would be pointless having exactly the same information in plans at different scales.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27