Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

2D Script for Skylights?

Sam Karli
Enthusiast

Hi,

For Skylights or anything that is the child of the subtype "Roof Openings" 2D scripts seem not to run at all. Instead, regardless to the actual content of the 2D Script, it generates everything from the 3D model.

Any chance of creating a 2D Symbol independent of the 3D?

I plan to create electrical switches that can be placed onto Roofs (that should cut a hole into the Roof without SEO).

Thanks in advance

GDL/Python/C++ dev
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi,

You can use

if GLOB_VIEW_TYPE = 2 then ...

to model something that projects as you need it.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

My problem is that I want to put down a pure 2D symbol (electrical symbol of an electrical connector) that is, by the way, not at the exact position where it actually is (it is put somewhere on the roof inner surface and its 2D symbol then dragged on plan view to a position were it can be seen "besides" the cut roof.

Reason for make it as a roof opening is to

• make it "attached" to the roof inner surface, shouldn't be put anywhere
  • cut a hole (actually a wall niche) automatically into the roof surface. Note that there are many connectors and using SEO is an overkill here (based on human working hours).

SamKarli_0-1725117709969.png

I've made a rude sketch for You to be able to imagine what I'm about to do. The black symbol is the 2D drawing I want to place and the dashed line marks the (3D brick at the position of the) electrical connector.

Note that the 2D object actual position is unrelated to the actual object, it is put to the roof cutting. (It can be done by a movable hotspot).

GDL/Python/C++ dev
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Maybe the 2D part could be scripted as a marker.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

HI Sam.

A nice trick--Try to script this  2d symbol as a skylight marker,  always attached beside your custom roof outlet(skylight) on plan view. 🙂

ToperBarrientos_2-1725544402493.png

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB
1 TB OS: Ventura 13.1

Haha, a good idea indeed, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for both of You.

GDL/Python/C++ dev

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!