GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Custom glowing material

MetalFingerz
Advocate

Hi here,

I wanted to know what values I needed to input to create a custom glowing white material using DEFINE MATERIAL with the 6 type. I tried the values below and I can't get none to work.

1, 0, 0 ! Red
0, 1, 0 ! Yellow
0, 0, 1 ! Majenta

0, 1, 1 ! Pink
1, 0, 1 ! Majenta
1, 1, 0	! Yellow

0, 0, 0 ! Red
1, 1, 1 ! Pink

When I use a glowing material from the library, it shows as a cyan color and glow well when rendering. Any idea ?

5 REPLIES 5
runxel
Legend

The GDL docs are a bit "wrong" about this. Type 6 is not actually a "glowing" material. I would rather call it an emissive material.

That wording might still be misleading, but here's the deal: Only in the rendering we can have actual glowing materials, and in the hardware accelerated 3D view (ex OpenGL) we can't even have emissive materials (like type 6).

Instead, what you defined there is this: 

EmissionBlackRedWhite-1.png

In that image the surfaces have their emission colors set to black, red, and white.

So if you want to define a glowing material, it will be render only, and secondly you'd need to do it with the so called "additional_data" setup.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I've just discovered that this function IS BROKEN (!).

Given the current state not really a surprise.

Anyway, the true reason why you couldn't get it to work is simple: It doesn't work anymore. Emissive materials will not work like in the screenshot from the official help.

I've sent a bug report. Let's see when or if it ever get fixed....

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

Ok, I'm reassured because I had made some tries before starting the thread and all my materials were glowing red so I thought the issue was from my software. The only time I managed to have a glowing white was from using a material with a proper luminance channel from the surface manager 

Capture d’écran 2024-01-23 à 13.31.06.pngCapture d’écran 2024-01-23 à 13.31.48.png

define material "A" 6, 1, 0, 0
define material "B" 6, 0, 1, 0
define material "C" 6, 0, 0, 1
define material "D" 6, 0, 1, 1
define material "E" 6, 1, 0, 1
define material "F" 6, 1, 1, 0
define material "G" 6, 0, 0, 0
define material "H" 6, 1, 1, 1

material "A"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "B"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "C"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "D"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "E"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "F"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "G"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material "H"
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

material matmat ! custom surface from library
block 1, 1, 1
addx 2

del 9
MetalFingerz
Advocate

Hi,

Is there any news on this ?

No. Local support said it's not a bug and it "never worked" (????) in the first place.

So yeah, it will never get fixed.

Might wanna try your local support, too.