BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

[GDL] Can the REVOLVE command change the coordinates of points at the starting and ending sections?

yongler
Enthusiast

Can the REVOLVE command change the coordinates of points at the starting and ending sections?

The GDL component in the figure below was generated using the REVOLVE command, and I want to make the elevation of a point in the starting and ending sections different. But I can't do it.

capture_20230907200156203.jpg

ang = 90
R1 = 1.5
tu_H= 0.25

pen  3
material  6

ROTy  90
REVOLVE  6, ang,   16+32 ,
		  0, R1 , 2,
		-1.2, R1 , 2,
		-1.2 , R1+ 0.2   , 2,
		-0.6 , R1+ 0.2+tu_H  , 2,
		 0 , R1+0.2,  2,
		 0, R1 , 2
DEL 1

5 REPLIES 5
runxel
Legend

No, REVOLVE does not allow for variable, altering curve profiles.

I also don't know how this geometrically would work. You would need something like Sweep2Rails from Rhino for crazy surfaces like this.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I imitated Grasshopper and created GDL's surface components, which can parameterize and control shapes. It looks great, written in pure GDL scripts. But I encountered trouble at the arc corner.

I hope GDL has a command similar to XFORM, where the geometry can be curled along an arc after this command.

capture_20230907210307464.jpg

How did you make the GDL's surface components?

Shapes Generated from Polylines | GRAPHISOFT GDL Center

Hi all.

Kindly check/study these GDL commands.

For calculating angular velocity (curving vectors), check the curved rail topic fr the DNC's GDL cookbook 3 or 4.  Hope this helps. 🙂 .

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB
1 TB OS: Ventura 13.1

https://gdl.graphisoft.com/reference-guide/shapes-generated-from-polylines#TUBEA_gdlcommand

Also about tubes with diff. profiles fr . start & end points.

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB
1 TB OS: Ventura 13.1
Learn and get certified!