cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Keynotes

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi All,

We have introduced a new documentation focused workflow for Keynotes in Archicad 28, to help simplify and consolidate tags and descriptions into one database and palette.

• Organise Keynotes into an hierarchical folder structure, with drag/drop.
  • Import/Export Keynotes via XML or Excel format > we are currently investigating updating this Excel format.
  • Each Keynote stores a unique Key, multi-line Description, Title and Reference.
  • All Keynote fields are available as autotexts from Labels and Texts, in any viewpoint Labels and Texts are available. Mix and match these autotexts with any existing autotexts or manual text as necessary.
  • Keynote Legend objects placed on Layouts, gathers all visible (or any from a selected folder) Keynotes from internal, external and PMK based drawings, and lists these in a customisable table.
  • New Label frame shapes have also been introduced.

For more information:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/Keynotes/ta-p/606482

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
50 REPLIES 50

Hi @Lee Hankins 

We do test within TW environments, and introduced new permissions for creating, deleting Keynotes.

Allowing to create data is handled through the permission system, but we allow this (based on permission) in a similar/same way with attributes and other settings. Have you created roles to limit this permission?

James Badcock

Hi @James B 

@I think we are talking at cross purposes.

The keynote database, this keynote legend is a schedule from the model. It uses the item codes to link to the model data. That way the keynotes always match the model. It is possible, as in any schedule it is possible to add manual data..

The point I was making in my other post is that someone working on different types of projects may need to link to a GS keynote external database but current this is difficult as the link in not named in the legend legend.

Hope this helps

DavidShorter_0-1726488081516.png

Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
zoli79
Enthusiast

After the second and third review of this tool, here are some practical wishes, remarks. I think some of these are simple fixes, would be great to see them in the "final" version:

0. Let me start with a general remark, because some of the items below are based on this. It is not compeltely clear what is the intended purpose of Title and Description fields. We have long texts in the keynotes. Instructions, code references, call out to drawings in the set etc. Title is a single row field, Description can show multiple rows, so we are expecting to use the Description field in our practice and basically neglect the Title field.

1. An editable complete and filtered list of keynotes would be useful. Similar to interactive schedules. Think of a project manager who wants to overview the complete list of keynotes and edit where necessary. (Without the use of Excel export/import.)

2. Being able to create views of the complete or filtered list of keynotes would be great. Placed on a project management sheet, this can be published and reviewed by PM-s. Disregard this one. We can place full lists on a layout, so this is not important. See also #7 for long legends.

3. Palette should be able to show Description field. As I mentioned above we place the keynote text in the Description field and that is not visible in the palette's top panel, only in the middle panel when selecting one keynote. Basically I don't see what the keynotes stand for unless I click on them one-by-one.

4. As an alternative Title should have a multiple row display option and we could be using the Title for long keynote texts.

5. Keynote numbers should have auto-number option similar to sheets. They should inherit letter/number from parent folder(s), and assign ordinal numbers as they are located. Reordering (by dragging keynotes up and down) should be followed by renumbering etc. Just as at sheets. Of course there should be an option turn off auto-numbering.

6. Legend should have an upper case option. In some places architects like to yell on layouts and have all text in upper case. But at the database level there is no need for all this text to be typed in that way. Would make it easier for those who actually do the typing.

7. Legend should have the option to continue in next column - similar to schedule views on layouts

8. Linked references and autotexts - see my previous comments and discussion

The search option in the palette is pretty cool! 🙂

macOS 15, ArchiCAD 26/27/28 (USA)
first ArchiCAD: 6.5
iggiv
Advocate

Team,

I must be missing something, as English is my second language. I keep reading that you can’t link KEYNOTES to elements in Archicad. However, I find KEYNOTES very useful, and I’ve shared my approach in a different forum.

The Label Tool is also very powerful. At the top of the label settings, when you place it in a drawing, there are three icons:

1. AutoText

2. Keynotes

3. Emojis

If the label is set to pick information from the element, it will automatically fill in the information from the AutoText.

Here’s what I do, combining all three options depending on my needs when using keynotes:

• AutoText: I mostly use this to add the Element ID, but more importantly, I use it to add information from properties, which can be exported for review or corrections by others involved in the project.

• Keynotes: I add specific information about the elements or norms that need to be complied with.

• Emojis: I don’t use these much, but they are helpful for visualization when using symbols.

I can also add special descriptions for specific elements. Additionally, I have an external file I created using FileMaker for product specifications. Each record in this file has a unique ID number to identify the product, along with extensive information such as classification and contact details for further clarification.

I hope this helps, and I apologize if I’ve gone off-topic from the main purpose of this forum.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 8.03.56 AM.png

Hi @zoli79 

Thanks for your feedback.

In an Archicad 28 update (28.1), we will make a change that the tree view will show Key and Description when the Title field is empty - your point 3. We'll also be supporting a workflow where the content of a selected Label can be more easily updated with the content of another Keynote (also coming in that same update).

Regarding your point 7, this is already possible with the "wrap table" checkbox. Allowing the contents to be split over multiple columns.

We'll also look into your other comments for the future.

James Badcock

Hi James,

We tend not to use roles as there are so few of us. We have access rights to all elements. It's likely anyone working on a project will be able to and want to create and edit Keynotes. We've found in the past with Layers, as the palette does not need to be reserved multiple users can create new Layers and then when changes are sent and received they can be jumbled up so if for example a user creates a layer called 'Fire' and another' Dimensions', the user who created 'Fire' adds a selection of elements to that layer, when they perform a send and received, the elements that were assigned to the 'Fire' layer end up being assigned to the 'Dimensions' layer instead. As the Keynotes palette does not need to be reserved we could end up with a situation were multiple uses could create the same number reference Keynote with completely different wording.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 28 Apple Silicon 27.2.2 | Archicad 28 Apple Silicon
macOS Sequoia (15)

Understand thanks Lee.

Let me know how you go with the team, as Keynotes don't have the same index system that Layers use.

James Badcock
Ahmed_K
Advisor

Hi James, 

Is there any progress on the excel format import export ? 

The thread is locked, i can't post there

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 27
Windows 11 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Hi @Ahmed_K 

For the initial release there'll be no change to the excel format as per the Tech Preview version.

I'll review again though, if it'll be possible to update the format in an update or introduce a second format as shared in that discussion to allow more flexibility.

James Badcock
svpribyl
Booster

I expect there to be further developments in the text formatting before the final release, however I would like to request ability to adjust column size in the legend. In adjusting the font and size, the label is being split into two lines, which is unacceptable. Thank you!

Steve Pribyl
MAC OS Sonoma 14.5
ArchiCAD 28

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!