Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024
SOLVED!

WISH LIST: Video to Update Global Library

iggiv
Enthusiast

I am sure that there will be a video with step by step on how to upgrade my existing library to the international library. I have tried to do the upgrade to be prepared for when the final version is released, but I do not understand what or how to do it.

I have noticed that one disadvantage is that the library is not organized within the MasterFormat USA classification, which I would like to have sorted by since I have been doing architecture in the USA for a long time.

I look forward to understanding how to do this upgrade in a clear and easy way.

22 REPLIES 22
Solution

@iggiv wrote:

I then did not load any of the libraries previous to AC28, and as a result, I have over 3,050 elements with missing parts. Some of them are duplicates since they are also in modules.

However, when I choose a missing library and go to the settings window to replace the element with the new AC28 element, it does not seem to work, and the element does not show on the drawings.

The missing objects are the old 27 objects - they will not migrate to 28.

You must select the object, open the settings, browse to the equivalent 28 object and inject (CTRL+ALT) the 28 object to transfer the parameter settings.

You will have to track down all 3050 of them.

If multiple objects have exactly the same settings, you can select more than one at a time and transfer the parameter settings.

Still this is a lot of work.

This may be a case where you load the 27 migration library as well so you can see the old objects.

But note that new object you place will be from the 28 library, so you will have a mix of old and new (until you replace the old).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
iggiv
Enthusiast

Dear Barry,

Once more, thank you for your response and input.

I am aware that what I am trying to do is a long task to complete. Moving from the AC27 library to the AC28 is only half of the work. I will also replace the AC28 attributes to keep the original code numbers but will rename them.

I am willing to spend the time to replace all 3,050 elements with the new GLOBAL LIBRARY. However, I did not understand what I needed to do initially, but finally, I made it work.

Please allow me to clarify your response in case someone else needs help with this.

If I do not load the “MIGRATION LIBRARY,” all of the 3,050 elements show as a missing dot icon.

I then load the “MIGRATION LIBRARY” and select the AC27 element.

1. After having the element selected

2. Copy the settings from the AC27 elements. (Option+Clik element in MAC)

3. With the element selected, go to the “SETTINGS WINDOW.”

4. Filter or select the equivalent element in AC28.

5. TRANSFER the parameters in the “SETTINGS WINDOW” to the new AC28 element. (Control+Option+click element in Mac)

6. Close the “SETTINGS WINDOW.”

7. Voilà! It works!

I understand I have to do this 3,050 times. But the objective of this exercise is also to update the favorites. I have organized my file where a section of the space is only for the libraries. Therefore, once I replace the favorites, all duplicates can be replaced by search without doing them one by one. Of the 3,050 elements, there will be fewer to work on.

Once more thank you for your help and looking forward the the AC28 version. By then I hope to have my templet ready.

UPDATE!!

1. After having the element selected

2. STEP NOT needed, jump to 3 Copy the settings from the AC27 elements. (Option+Clik element in MAC)

3. With the element selected, go to the “SETTINGS WINDOW.”

4. Filter or select the equivalent element in AC28.

5. TRANSFER the parameters in the “SETTINGS WINDOW” to the new AC28 element. (COMAND+Option+click element in Mac)

6. Close the “SETTINGS WINDOW.”

7. Voilà! It works!

@iggiv 

When you talk about favourites, do you mean pre-placed objects with the settings you want (I call these visual favourites or just samples) or are you talking about the actual favourites in the favourite palette?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
iggiv
Enthusiast

Barry,

Good morning. I am happy to report that I have spent the past few days changing the 3,050 library objects to the GLOBAL LIBRARY.

It has been a trial and error process, but I think I have completed the transition except for 800 objects, which include repetitive items. This last set of objects is not present in the GLOBAL LIBRARY. I would like to note that the DETAIL library is not present in the GLOBAL LIBRARY.

I will post later the way I did it.

Yes, I created a file with 3,050 objects, placing them in a file, including zones, sections, elevations, and all the elements you can have in the FAVORITES PALETTE. This also includes modules of pre-designed and repetitive elements like bathrooms, kitchens with their furniture, and even lights.

Back in the AC20s, I made the big mistake of changing all the attributes of my template by re-coding and renaming them. I am satisfied with the result, but it created a big mess every time I upgraded to a new version of AC. I solved this by creating this file and creating over 2,000 FAVORITE elements. At the same time, I brought in classification, visualization, properties for schedules, layer settings, height, etc. It works for me.

Now, when I have some time to spare, I will go back to the original attributes of AC, which I understand is not going to be easy.

Thank you for your help. I am enclosing a screenshot of the file to show what I have done.

Conclusion: I was expecting to spend weeks moving to the GLOBAL LIBRARY, but it was not so bad as I only spent a couple of days.

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 8.18.31 AM.png

Looks awesome.

These are what i would call 'visual favourites' - not the same as actual favourites.

A lot to look after in a template though.

And adds un-necessarily to the size of the file unless you delete them all.

I would use this as a 'file on the side' and copy and paste from it.

I have used default Graphisoft objects in the past in my libraries and template, and yes my attributes are different as well (I wish that wasn't the case).

I copy just the objects I want to use and actually edit the default settings in the GDL editor to use the attributes that suit my template.

A pain as it needs to be done every new version.

But now with the Global Libraries we have an Attribute Mapping Table.

This can be exported out as a .JASON .JSON file and edited so the attributes for the objects can be set to use your template attributes.

Then import the value table back into your template and the Graphisoft object suit your template.

I am in the process of doing this now.

It is very tedious at the moment and very easy to mess things up.

But hopefully some time soon in the future we will have a tool to simplify things.

So if all of those visual favourites are just default objects set to your attributes, you won't even need those.

But if they are adjusting other parameters as well, then you probably will still need them.

Here is a post where I have been asking questions about it.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/Library-Developer-Toolkit-for-28/t...

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
iggiv
Enthusiast

Thank you. It is not easy to keep it updated, so I usually do it when I have a previous version of the upgrade.

I will use the “VISUAL FAVORITES” for the file when describing what I did. Yes, it is monotonous to look for once the final upgrade is done. But not because of the file, but rather the updating of the “FAVORITES.PRF” file. This could be solved if, once modified, it is imported automatically to the files when opened rather than doing this manually. Graphisoft has not added this in any version, and I think this could bring other problems for other users.

The size of the file is not that big: about 400MB for the favorites and another 850MB for some details. But I do not open this file unless there is a major upgrade. I either make modules of the details or have the “PRF” file, which has all the information I need. There is no need to copy and paste.

I modified my properties in the schedule as well as the attributes for visualization, which I do with overwrites. Yes, it is a pain as it needs to be done with every new version. This is the reason, as you said, “the Global Libraries have an Attribute Mapping Table.” It should have other variants, but I can change them with overwrites.

I do not know what the .JASON files are, but I will try to look into it to see how they can help me. This could help as you said, “Then import the value table back into your template, and the Graphisoft object will suit your template.” I will look into it to see how it works!

JASON JSON files are just fancy text files.

They can be edited with a simple text editor (i.e. Notebook).

But it is very easy to mess things up.

I am waiting for the Library Development Kit for 28, because I believe there is a tool that converts JASON file to a .CSV file that can be opened in Excel.

Then it is easier to filter and alter what is needed.

Then convert .CSV back to JASON JSON file and import back into Archicad.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
KevinP
Booster

It's "JSON", not "JASON", files.  They are a lightweight alternative to XML files and are especially useful in coding these days.

You can tediously edit JSON file manually if you're very careful to maintain the formatting.  If you know Javascript, there's a tool that treats JSON files as a database.  Using this tool would make it easier to modify the file, but it would involve setting up a website running Javascript.

This took is called Taffydb:

https://taffydb.com/

It looks like there's a JSON editor online.  I can't vouch for this tool, but it looks good:

https://jsoneditoronline.org/

Thanks for letting us know that the Attribute Mapping table is in JSON format and can be customized.

@KevinP wrote:

It's "JSON", not "JASON", files.  They are a lightweight alternative to XML files and are especially useful in coding these days.

Oops!  😮

I always say Jason in my head so that is just what I wrote.

I have seen a tool during Beta testing that converts the file to a CSV and back so the file can be edited easier in Excel.

I believe this is in the Library Developer Kit, but we don't have access to that yet.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!