Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

"New" Global Libraries - Parametric Object Creation?

Kalib Stewart
Contributor

There's been a lot made about moving to global libraries, which hasn't actually done much, seeing as the Archicad libraries have barely evolved over the past decade... Still no claddings, still no parametric windows and doors, still only like 2-3 skylights, still very very limited fixtures, casework, and appliances. Half of my Toolkit is just CI tools and their Select Library.

With all this fuss about transitioning from one form of library pack to another form of library pack, are there any plans to finally allow us to create our own "parametric families (objects)" in both 2D and 3D? 

GDL is archaic and redundant for anyone trying to be productive design and documentation-wise; we don't have the time nor the desire to code so that I can make a 3D tap or a stretchable 2D symbol...And then test it for hours on end until I figure out where the single wrong line of code is.

Param-o is clunky and requires creating 10 blocks with 20 lines to create a four-leg table... Nice if you're experienced in Grasshopper, worthless if you're not.

And, the library part maker, at least in my experience, seems awfully slow and limited. There's also little to no available documentation available on how to even use it in an optimal fashion, and it seems I have to be doing it in separate files all the time.

So, for this 28 release/preview, are actually going to see any substantial improvements in our libraries or our library creation ability upon the release or before the end of this decade? This global library "feature" has so far been nothing but moving existing objects into new folders, and I could have done that in Windows Explorer and some website downloads.

This "Global International Library" has given me access to maybe 4 new useful objects...

It's been what, 10 years and for example there's still only one very limited vanity option.... 10 years with essentially the same limited library and no efficient ways to add to it. Is there actually any work at all going on in this area at GS?

Revit's had this mastered for years and it seems GS hasn't even started.

59 REPLIES 59

Clever analogy !

AC8.1 - AC27 AC28TP ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia

I guess sooner or probably later, we will have AI making any object we want. On another hand I would like to know how you would describe parameters for object like "Lola" attached image.  I am sure that AI will go the mesh way instead carefully select the shortest GDL way. 

The same "Lola" made in GDL and save as object from mesh or imported from Sketchup, Bimobjects or Revit family

GDL script lines:  

3D 156,

2D 62

Saved as object from Mesh script lines:

3D 19620,

2D 288

Size of file:

Save as scripted GDL 24KB

Save as object from mesh 1MB

I am sure that AI will go easy way, saving mesh like version.

and you will have to spend hours to explain to AI what you want to have done and parameters you want. If you ask for GDL scripting instead of mesh, you will get the result you have already received for cylinder and cone.

Until some clever programmer and also furniture enthusiast will teach AI how to script GDL, I am still convinced that investment in learning GDL is worth it. After AI experience in archicad and 100+ quick versions of the same model, I am sure that whatever you will need made by AI will be close approximation, probably not close enough for me or maybe father of archicad AI wasn't architectural enthusiast, just programmer with architectural magazine.

Lola.png

user since A3

The question is, how many AI prompts do I need to GDL scrip an object accurately ? 

AC8.1 - AC27 AC28TP ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia
Mr_Snarl
Contributor

I guess it just needs to be trained more. Probably GS is working on that too.

Param-O would be great if you could create your own blocks. for example save your creation as a param-o block to be used later. Like a macro.

Hi Mr_Snarl, you can do it in Param-O. It is not a Macro but you can link another GSM object and change his parameters. The dark side is that you can edit only 4 parameters that you choose 😞

I have done it for example with this combination of table and chair. Chair and table were created with Param-O as separate objects.

LukasZeleny_0-1726567557099.png

BIM Manager at SIEBERT+TALAÅ 
www.sieberttalas.com

Absolutely @Gerald Lock I can not agree with you more. We definitely need more support from GS, especially on PARAM-O, refer this post & this post too.

This tool has so much potential (not there yet though) with further development, to improve user's workflows.

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

Yest, that I know. But as you mentioned it is only 4 parameters. 

BIMobject is great if you want to use objects whose geometry has often been imported for other modellers, and may either be broken in the translation process, or the polygon count is so high it will bog down your entire model.

The last object from there I downloaded was a mixer tap, but it had more polygons (the flexi-connectors were modelled as well, in great detail and were curved) than the entire rest of my model. Clearly the author hadn't heard of ModelPort...

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey

Me lol I am the only one at my business.

I write gdl faster than I can model and it makes for great quantities and super fast detail modeling 

Yes, me too

user since A3

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!