Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

"New" Global Libraries - Parametric Object Creation?

Kalib Stewart
Contributor

There's been a lot made about moving to global libraries, which hasn't actually done much, seeing as the Archicad libraries have barely evolved over the past decade... Still no claddings, still no parametric windows and doors, still only like 2-3 skylights, still very very limited fixtures, casework, and appliances. Half of my Toolkit is just CI tools and their Select Library.

With all this fuss about transitioning from one form of library pack to another form of library pack, are there any plans to finally allow us to create our own "parametric families (objects)" in both 2D and 3D? 

GDL is archaic and redundant for anyone trying to be productive design and documentation-wise; we don't have the time nor the desire to code so that I can make a 3D tap or a stretchable 2D symbol...And then test it for hours on end until I figure out where the single wrong line of code is.

Param-o is clunky and requires creating 10 blocks with 20 lines to create a four-leg table... Nice if you're experienced in Grasshopper, worthless if you're not.

And, the library part maker, at least in my experience, seems awfully slow and limited. There's also little to no available documentation available on how to even use it in an optimal fashion, and it seems I have to be doing it in separate files all the time.

So, for this 28 release/preview, are actually going to see any substantial improvements in our libraries or our library creation ability upon the release or before the end of this decade? This global library "feature" has so far been nothing but moving existing objects into new folders, and I could have done that in Windows Explorer and some website downloads.

This "Global International Library" has given me access to maybe 4 new useful objects...

It's been what, 10 years and for example there's still only one very limited vanity option.... 10 years with essentially the same limited library and no efficient ways to add to it. Is there actually any work at all going on in this area at GS?

Revit's had this mastered for years and it seems GS hasn't even started.

44 REPLIES 44

Agreed and those who are good at GDL and who also have the brains for it, are very much needed. And some of these people are also a great help for creating highly parametric objects or structures with apps like Rhino and Grasshopper as we all know.

Myself, I am just content with Archicad & CI tools and a better library in future versions of Archicad.

I might be persuaded though to try and use Rhino in conjunction with Archicad. I like the graphical user interface inside Rhino because I don’t think well in terms of algorithms. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd wrote:

Not everybody has the special gift of GDL code comprehension and writing, that is just being realistic of course. Archicad is software that we purchase to design with, not to code with to design objects...

GDL is definitely not user friendly and that should only be for special library part designers. Or in house at GS to create more library objects for all of us to use.

Why not have depository of library objects created by those with the gift that we can share for free ?

Right on the money, @mthd, GDL coding is suited for the few & not everyone.

That is exactly why, over time Graphisoft gave us tools of various complexities & capabilities, like

Graphisoft have always made Archicad stand out as a "central hub" to handle both import & export of the longest list of file formats of any Architectural design software in existence. Archicad is truly the "Swiss Army Knife" of BIM software allowing users the freedom to do what we need to do with what we have (skills, resources, etc). 

Yes as we do more with Archicad, we agree that GDL is ideal for Archicad GDL Objects and we want it to be easier. So why don't more users use PARAM-O / Library Part Maker? Graphisoft is waiting for us to use PARAM-O more in particular, then they'll put in applicable recourses to improve it even more. 

It's clear as day, Graphisoft is giving Archicad user the choices, opportunities & tools to work with objects the way they prefer & need to. Our task is to help them to better understand what that looks like as our world & work is changing. 

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

Hi, @Jman 

before when I use LPM there was a template available, do you know where we can download this LPM template?

Thanks

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

Hi Abdelaziz ,

Sorry can't find old LPM template in my system. Try to download and instal earlier versions of LPM.

user since A3

Check this old GDL for Beginners by David Nicholson Cole. It is old version, so sorry for the old archicad interface. Revit wasn't bourn yet when original was written.

user since A3

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!