Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ALT / OPTION key on a windows platform

Jere
Expert
I used to use ArchiCAD at another firm on Mac's. Been using AutoDesk software for 5 years now and have finally convinced the boss to switch to AC.

Got an annoying problem though. To change the user origin while drawing an element, you press 'shift-option', right? Well, on a PC, obviously it is 'shift-alt.' However, when you press ALT on a PC it highlights the menu bars and I can no longer complete the task.

Is there a fix for this? It seems to be a shame to waste such simple functionality.
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well, on a PC, obviously it is 'shift-alt.'
This could be your first mistake. Think of it as alt-shift if you can. And when you execute it, hold down alt and then shift. Keep them both pressed until you have successfully relocated your user origin - when you are done let go of shift and then alt.

Common mistake that is more difficult to teach to an experienced ArchiCAD user than a new one! It's really just a matter of reversing the order in which you hold the keys, but once you get it it becomes second nature.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
Well, on a PC, obviously it is 'shift-alt.'
This could be your first mistake. Think of it as alt-shift if you can.
really? what happens when you are on-the-fly and holding down shift as a part of the constraint operation (which is normal behaviour)? all i have to do is tap the ALT key with my thumb (on-and-off): origin gets reset and constrained angle is still constrained . . . ready for next command . . .

does shift-ALT really make that huge a difference on the PC? you guys have been missing a simple, efficient operation for years if that's the case. not baiting link, just a little stunned . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey blame Bill mate!

In your case PC users have to either hit ALT twice or let go of shift. Guess we just have raise our finger that millimeter and lose that nanosecond.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
In your case PC users have to either hit ALT twice or let go of shift.
ah! so pressing ALT for menu items is actually a toggle? flicking it again toggles it off and places the user-origin at the same time?

if that's the case it's same/same: toggling ALT during a command normally activates the "... a copy" anyway and it has to be toggled again to switch off . . .

thanks
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Jere
Expert
Link wrote:
Hey blame Bill mate!

In your case PC users have to either hit ALT twice or let go of shift. Guess we just have raise our finger that millimeter and lose that nanosecond.

Cheers,
Link.
I know you're joking, but I'd rather blame Graphisoft. That's a pretty goofy quirk.

Anyway, thanks a lot. You were right; I have to hit ALT twice, which is a pain that I shouldn't have to go through. I can't let go of shift or I lose the mouse constraint.

I used to use ArchiCAD on a Mac about 5 years ago. Definitely didn't have this problem. I just convinced my current employer to switch to ArchiCAD after using autodesk products for 5 years. I'll try to get him to switch to Macs. But you know what they say......"baby steps.....baby steps."
Jere
Expert
Link wrote:
This could be your first mistake. Think of it as alt-shift if you can.
Thanks, Link. That also helped.