cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CAN I DELETE SCRATCH FILES

Fritz T
Booster
I have just found a whole series of files named "Scratch ..." followed by a series of 10 digits on my hard drive, located in a subdirectory of the "Archicad Cache Folder".
Does anyone know, can I delete these with safety?
AC 6, through 27

iMac 27' 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

500GB OS X12.7.3 Monterey
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
As long as you are not in Archicad at the time, yes, you can delete them.
Tom Waltz
Fritz T
Booster
Just as a matter of interest, what function do these files serve?
AC 6, through 27

TomWaltz
Participant
They are just temp files that Archicad writes. Most software writes files like that for various purposes for all kinds of purposes.

I suspect they are the 2D content of your sections and elevations, but I could be way off base.
Tom Waltz
Fritz T
Booster
Given the name of the subdirectory I assumed it to be a temp cache file, but surely it should clear once you quit Archicad, or there should be a setting to enable that function.
Would you by any chance know if this occurs on PC as well?
AC 6, through 27

TomWaltz
Participant
Archicad should clean those out by itself when it closes. I usually found those after a crash.

Once in a while, I just notice a whole pile of them from scattered dates and clean them out.

I would not be at all surprised if this is a general problem, not unique to an operating system.
Tom Waltz
Fritz T
Booster
Ok, thanks for taking the time to reply.
AC 6, through 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fritz -

Don't know if I would be quite so cavalier about deleting Scratch Files. Have you tried opening one? Is it a layout book file? We have had a 'permissions' problem which routinely results in Layout Book files saving in this format, rather than over-writing the previous file.

Sometimes this doesn't matter because views will update themselves within an old layout. But if you've added a new layout or annotated a layout in any way within Plotmaker (e.g. a revision note), these changes will be lost. Consequently, on spotting a 'Scratch' file, we would have to find the layout book it represented, check the 'save' time/date, delete the layout book, and rename the scratch file as the layout book.
Fritz T
Booster
Hi, thanks for pointing that out, I've just moved them to a different directory, and then tested current layout books, no problem experienced thus far that I can notice. They seem to have accumulated for the past 18 months, and have taken up up to 10gb of hard disk space. So if they're not essential I would really like to junk them. Will try the re-naming and then open to view.
Will update this forum with any developments.
AC 6, through 27