BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Constructing a 3-point ellipse....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I have no problem drawing an ellipse with the circle tool, but I need to dimension it so the builder can actually build it as drawn. I understand an ellipse is really 3 circles. What I need to do is find the foci of the 3 circles so I can dimension them properly.

Been a long time since high school geometry (I never really listened anyway, when would I even use it?? ha ha). Does anyone have a good method???????
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ohhh, I see what you mean, I get 3 circles per quarter of ellipse. That works well enough, thank you.
Dwight
Newcomer
"Well enough?"

You mean as well as a chalk line drawn on raw plywood with 1/8" medite bent over it would?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
well enough = perfectly, couldn't be any better
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Steven,
Small world indeed !
I have a library part, I wish I knew who wrote it,
that calculates the length of the string needed to
draw an ellipse of any given A and B dimensions.
The author states that he/she wrote the object
to do field layouts of ellipses using string and
stakes. I think string is too stretchy and would
use a surveyor's tape or a very light metal chain.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Hello,

I have no problem drawing an ellipse with the circle tool, but I need to dimension it so the builder can actually build it as drawn. I understand an ellipse is really 3 circles. What I need to do is find the foci of the 3 circles so I can dimension them properly.

Been a long time since high school geometry (I never really listened anyway, when would I even use it?? ha ha). Does anyone have a good method???????
This is typical misunderstanding that the builder will actually use center of the circle and radius to build it unless it is small radius. Segment it and dimension the segments. That's how it's done in real world.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miki wrote:
This is typical misunderstanding that the builder will actually use center of the circle and radius to build it unless it is small radius. Segment it and dimension the segments. That's how it's done in real world.
This is exactly how I will be doing it, breaking it into segments and dimensioning the three different circle segments.

Thanks to all for your help.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!