Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Failing to open files

Srinivas
Booster
Hi all,

I've been experiencing rather strange problem with my ArchiCAD 11 and 13. When I try to open pln or pla's, ArchiCAD is failing to open them, it starts loading the library and fails there. I tried opening a new file with the New and Rest all, without any luck.

The only work around I tried to figure out so far, is to restart/log off my laptop and it allows me to open couple of times then back to the problem.

Is this anyone of you had ever experienced before? Is it something to do with corrupt system files somewhere. Thank you for your time in advance.

-Srinivas.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
It does sound like some system issue - either corrupt file system, lack of disk space, etc.

Try renaming the library folder(s) so that AC cannot find them based on the path(s) stored in your PLN. Will the project open then (with lots of missing objects of course)? If so, add one library at a time in Lib Mgr to track things down.

When you say it will not open PLA's either, which have all lib parts embedded, that makes it seem like something else amiss on your system. Did you do a full disk check with the repair option? (Requires restarting your Windows machine to do the repair on the boot drive.) Is there ample free disk space?

Do you have a ton of temporary files that Windows has not cleaned out? In Windows Explorer, display the path %temp% and %tmp% and get rid of stuff...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Srinivas
Booster
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the prompt response, It does seems some system problem as I am not having any missing library issues when I open the pln or pla files after the restart or either after a log off and log on.

I checked the space on my C: drive and it is about 137 GB, so I believe it has got ample.

I will try cleaning the system's temp folder and other places and will let you know how it goes.

-Srinivas.
ArchiCAD Services
iMac, Windows 10
Srinivas
Booster
Hi,

Cleaned up all the temp files and the recycle bin, but still no luck.
When I try opening any file either a pln, pla or even a new file, ArchiCAD starts the "Reading Data" dialog box and fails to complete the process, it stops and closes the dialog box and shows to me an Untitled file with the navigator's view map going blank.

Apparently this problems goes off when I restart my laptop or log off and login back, not for long though.

Which other system settings should I look for to nail down this problem?

Thank you.

-Srinivas.
ArchiCAD Services
iMac, Windows 10
Karl Ottenstein
Shooting in the dark... but maybe cleaning the ArchiCAD preferences?

http://www.archicadwiki.com/PreferencesCleaning

But, I notice that that article has not been updated since AC 12...

I wonder if some other application or service is interfering? Try restarting Windows in Safe mode and see if the issue happens there. (Press F8 key during restart - may have to tap it once per second to get it at the right time for Windows to notice it - and select Safe [with networking] from the boot menu.)
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Srinivas
Booster
Hi Karl,

Thank you, cleaning the preferences seems to fix the problem for the moment, I guessed it has something to do with the system preferences.

I will test thoroughly in the morning and will post here for any more trouble.

-Srinivas.
ArchiCAD Services
iMac, Windows 10
Karl Ottenstein
Glad that helped!