cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Large Site

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks you vey much Fabrizio. I have another question for anyone who might know. I have a pretty big site (800'x1600') with about 200' of elevation change, and have run into crashing & performance issues trying to work with the whole thing. I've tried several methods of cropping out a bunch of it, but I always get an invalid polygon when I try to build the terrain from that cropped outline. What's the best method for modeling only part of the site? Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You're welcome!

Please send me this terrain: the TXT file, the DXF file or the PLN file (please delete anything that isn’t related to terrain and compress it).
I’ll give a look to it and I will post here a report on what is not working and how you can solve the trouble.

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you create it from a Mesh, when you start encountering these problems, Undo the step you just did and cut the Mesh in half, so their complexity decreases. Check it in 3D. If it appears in 3D, it is still good.
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Not so simple, dear Laci!

If the mesh is generated by ArchiTerra, it stores some important user data so if you split it into different parts these data will be lost (or better only one part of the mesh will still continuing to store them).
Instead of workaround the trouble by splitting the mesh (that is a very smart trick because ArchiCAD during/after the splitting elaboration usually fixes also the minor troubles) usually I prefer to look for the trouble and finding the solution… for this reason I asked for the project.

Usually when this trouble appear they come from “degenerated” mesh and not from the complexity: if ArchiCAD has to calculate very complex mesh usually it slows down and takes a lot of time to elaborate it but it doesn’t crash. If ArchiCAD crashes this means that the mesh is, in some way, damaged.

Friendly
Fabrizio

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, right, my suggestion applies to only when one is creating the Mesh with the Mesh Tool, so there is no additional data that might get lost in the process of splitting.
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27