cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac Processor Speed

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am starting to run AC10 on an older G4 and would like to update the machine to a newer Mac Desktop. I have browsed this site long enough to see that I need at least 2 GB of RAM.

ArchiCAD is probably the most demanding application that I frequently use.
I don't use Lightworks at this time & my renderings are not particularly complex (a normal project for me has a file of about 18 MB).
Other applications that might run at the same time would be Quickbooks Pro, Microsoft Word & Excel. I might also try to run a new version of Adobe Photoshop, but don't own that just yet.

Does anyone here know whether I should be looking at the 2.0, 2.66 or 3.0 GH Processors? Is there a benefit in the price of the faster processor reflected in the performance of ArchiCAD?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:

owever, Windows takes 2GB away from the 4GB for itself and leaves 2GB for the application.
However, with Windows XP Service Pack 2, it is possible to set the maximum

I was actually asking about how much ram Archicad can address on a MacPro I am running. I think the dual dual core intel based systems split all the ram you have into two bins one for each processor. When I have been doing renderings it maxes out at 2GB and then crashes. I am trying to figure out if buying more ram will give us some more head room to handle the large model.