BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac opinion pole

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Later this year (after snow leopard) I plan on making the switch to Apple. I have not read anything that would discourage me from doing so except under "problems with video display on a new alum. Imac", on this forum. This pole is not meant to be a PC vs. Mac debate. I am just curious how satisfied Mac owners are with their product-especially while using Archicad. Our firm does mainly single family/residential with very little rendering. Imac spec's should be more than adequate to meet our needs-that's what I really want. Thanks.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
12 REPLIES 12
its pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the latest crop of Apple Hardware isn't a little bit futureproofed - that is to say that it anticipates Snow Leopard and provides a bit of infrasructure that will meow a little bit harder when 10.6 ships.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Chazz wrote:
If you want a Mac, just get it now and install Snow Leopard whenever it comes out.
I guess I did imply I was waiting for Snow Leopard. Actually, I have some bills to pay off before another purchase. Hopefully, that will be later this fall.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
owen
Newcomer
Yes OpenCL should make things very interesting indeed .. i wonder what impact GPU's will have on total system performance. Cinebench benchmarks have the 2009 Mac Pro's 2-3x (or more) in front of the 2009 iMacs, however i have seen benchmarks which put the iMacs quite close to 2009 Mac Pro's in gaming tests (which are very GPU dependent).

Still i think it is a shame there is no lower-end Quad Core 'desktop' processor option for the iMac to bridge the huge gap to a Mac Pro. At the moment it is really not much more than a deskbound Macbook Pro (albeit with a beautiful 24" screen)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Learn and get certified!