cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Transparent elements in a 3D document with a transparency check box unchecked

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my model with 3D Document. I have never encountered this problem before. Some of the elements (walls, roofs, even load houses from "bimobject") are transparent, but:

1) All the surfaces (except glass) have zero values in transmittance and attenuation in the settings;

2) Transparency and hidden edge check box are both unchecked;

3) Layers are not wireframed in their settings.

And even element selection in 3D window is complicated, I have hard time selecting e.g. sandwich panels (designed with "wall" tool) - I almost always pick up the element behind that panel.

Does anybody have some ideas? Thank you in advance!
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked if there is any Graphic Override rule related to surface transparency?
DGSketcher
Legend
Knowing your operating system and version of AC would be useful to help possibly identify the problem.

I would start by looking at the materials used in the elements, it may be you have something using a strong air space type material that is transparent but also has the effect of displacing other materials in the same space.

Can we assume you have checked for duplicate objects?

You may want to fix the vector hatching which is currently missing, not that I would have expected that to have any impact as it is unchecked in the view settings, but it is flagged up for a reason.

Have you tried assigning a different surface material to the transparent elements either through the object settings or building material?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
Braza wrote:
Have you checked if there is any Graphic Override rule related to surface transparency?
That would be my guess.
A GO is overriding the surface to something that is transparent.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate that!
Braza wrote:

Yep I have checked, elements in 3D document without the graphic override have the same transparency.

DGSketcher wrote:
Knowing your operating system and version of AC would be useful to help possibly identify the problem.

I would start by looking at the materials used in the elements, it may be you have something using a strong air space type material that is transparent but also has the effect of displacing other materials in the same space.

Can we assume you have checked for duplicate objects?

You may want to fix the vector hatching which is currently missing, not that I would have expected that to have any impact as it is unchecked in the view settings, but it is flagged up for a reason.

Have you tried assigning a different surface material to the transparent elements either through the object settings or building material?

I am working with AC 23 on Windows 10

Yep I have checked for duplicates

I have assigned fills in vectorial hatching setting for all surfaces - nothing

I have assigned in graphic override default AC material "Brick - Red" - nothing

At the end of the day, I hotlinked this object to the model with default AC23 template, and it seems everything is ok - no transparency in 3D document and elements selection in 3D window is smooth as it should be. So as it seems for me, the problem comes with my created AC23 template.

Barry Kelly
If it is not a Graphic Override, then is it a Renovation Filter?
The reno filter override option may be setting the transparent material as well.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If it is not a Graphic Override, then is it a Renovation Filter?
The reno filter override option may be setting the transparent material as well.

Barry.
I have reviewed renovation tool, all the settings and graphic overrides that comes with those settings are the same as in the default template.
Barry Kelly
What happens when you turn off transparency in the 3D window settings?
If the elements become solid then it is a material setting.
If they don't then it is a wire frame layer (your transparent elements seem to have colour so I don't think it is a layer.

And just to be sure, you have a reno filter set that 'Shows' new, existing and to be demolished?
None of these are set to 'Override'.
And you have a GO set that has no rules in it?
There should be a default "No Overrides" GO for this.

Other than actual material settings (which you say you have already checked), I can't think of what else it may be.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a last resource, I'd do an "Open and Repair" and cross my fingers.

P.S.: Ah! and Don't forget (When opening it after Open and Repair) to save it with another name to prevent any data loss.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
What happens when you turn off transparency in the 3D window settings?
If the elements become solid then it is a material setting.
If they don't then it is a wire frame layer (your transparent elements seem to have colour so I don't think it is a layer.

And just to be sure, you have a reno filter set that 'Shows' new, existing and to be demolished?
None of these are set to 'Override'.
And you have a GO set that has no rules in it?
There should be a default "No Overrides" GO for this.

Other than actual material settings (which you say you have already checked), I can't think of what else it may be.

Barry.
Yep, the setting of transparency in 3D window helped with 3D document, now 3D document looks correct.

But interesting thing - by default AC template, simple shading is with transparency marked in check box and 3D document looks correct too, while on my template - 3D document is transparent