cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Twelve Tricks of ArchiCAD

Dwight
Newcomer
Karl wrote:

A quick P.S.
Karl
Making the move from drafting to three dee means being mindful of the "bridging" techniques that reduce drudgery and repetitiveness. Using the magic wand for all of its capacity is the main one becuse it can unify and transform complex resultant shapes that take a long time to draw one node at a time.

Perhaps it is time for us to make the Twelve Tricks of ArchiCAD Anonymous. Nominations???

Foe example:

1: Magic Wand the heck out of things.

2: Place first, then edit.

3: "Mirror, Mirror on the Menu, who's the flip-a-copiest in the coordinate system?" [which sister said that?]

4: ???????

Your turn.
Dwight Atkinson
17 REPLIES 17
Jefferson
Participant
May I suggest "HEY!!, NEW GUY! OVER HERE!! Sit down, pay attention, and learn from my experience. You can thank me later."

Seriously this is all great stuff. Like most skills and trades, it is all about the tricks.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here are some of my suggestions for newbies..

* Dont build the same or similar kitchens (applies to any room really) every time... Make it once, save it as a MOD file and hotlink it into your project.. Then if you want to change it, break the link and make the changes. Just remember "If you have to do it more than once, there must be a smarter way".

* Save your favourite parts. If you set up a wall that you will use all the time, save it as a favourite, give it a good name to save yourself time.

* Get to know your objects.. Take some time out to see everything there is to see in the object library. There might be things in there that will save you time and effort.

* Dont forget to check for duplicates when you are done (there is a check for duplicates addon in the goodies folder).

* For newbies, set your selection dot colour to red... It makes them easier to see. (options/preferences/misc)

* Save your files in a logical place. Make a folder for each project and have a subfolder for plans, plotmaker files, library parts, PDF files and archives. (sounds obvious but a lot of people dont do it).

* Make sure that "Make backup copy" is enabled in Options/Preferences/Data Safety

Uhm... thats all I can think of right now...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew Lohden wrote Tip Number 5:

"PRECISE Numeric entry. Type the dimensions you want. If you don't know, type something reasonable (like typing 8' instead of stretching something to 7'-11 37/64"). ACCURACY, ACCURACY, ACCURACY."

Where do you make these numeric entries (for example, for the length of a wall)?
Aussie John
Newcomer
Bob wrote:
Matthew Lohden wrote Tip Number 5:

Where do you make these numeric entries (for example, for the length of a wall)?
select the wall then click on the end of it. It should now stretch, but keep the mouse on the end of the wall and read the R value n the info box. press r on the keyboard and you can then edit the length. ( if metric) type a length press "+" to add that to the length or just enter to make the wall that length.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
John,
THANKS SINCERELY for taking the time to explain!
Bob
Eduardo Rolon
When working on a project think how it is going to be built not how you are going to draw it, it will help you work faster.
Use ghost story to see what is going on bellow or above the story you are working on.
Remember that the tools can be used for other things, example:
the slab tool = to horizontal element (it is good for counters and shelves)
roof tool = inclined plane ( good for parking ramps)

Also you can copy/paste between stories, so that all continuous structural elements align.

If viewing an elevation/section a line does not clear between elements it is probably due to either a different fill, material or the objects are not aligned.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

__archiben
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
When working on a project think how it is going to be built not how you are going to draw it
and that one simple line there just about sums it up. now just try getting the people from flatland to understand it . . . or my colleagues for that matter.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I often select all the windows or walls for mass settings changing ( like materials) and i use the polygonal pet palette for perimetral contours
wall enclosed or open polygons

But the building architectural quality itself is THE major problem, archicad is only a tool.When the building is clear and beautiful even the drawnings
methods are more inspired.
The different buildings need different approach in the documentation process