cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Using hotlinks and updating incredibly slow

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello, I'm doing a project with modules of simple apartments, hotlinked into another file where they are stacked on each other forming a building, all in all maybe 40 modules in this file. This second file is then hotlinked into another file with a ground mesh and surrounding buildings etc. However all of these files move extreeeemely sluggish. Even just selecting a wall or a hotlink takes up to a minute before the command is done. I tried to move the big building a few meters and it took up to ten minutes to finish. Updating a hotlink through the hotlink manager takes around 10 minutes also, seemingly getting stuck on going through the library loading all the parts.

I only have one or two objects in the files embedded libraries, and the first files with the individual apartment units are mod-files so no library at all there. In the other files I am using the Archicad 21 Library.

Is this expected behavior? Is hotlinks pulling down the performance this much, or are there some other causes? What part of a hardware upgrade might work towards solving this? Or should I rethink the way I model, or look for some overly complex objects causing all the pain? I'm at a loss to where to begin to analyse the cause and looking for a solution.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

1 REPLY 1
Lingwisyer
Guru
I have found that it is less about the fact that they are hotlinks, but are just REALLY big groups. I would assume that it would come down to either your file read speed or your CPUs generation of nodes.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660