cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Weird Mac alias problem

Thomas Holm
Booster
I finally got my MBP C2D! I've spent a week or so customizing it. Now I want to move some files (like old AC libraries) from the Program folder on the "server" (that is the machine I used previously)
I've got some shared folders on the server, but I haven't found a way to share the program folders.

I tried creating an alias to the program folder, and move this alias to a shared folder. Then, we I access this folder from the portable, it thinks that the alias is local, that is when I doubleclick the alias, it just opens my local program folder. How the f**k do I get around this?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
How are the machines connected? Through a router?
Tom Waltz
Thomas Holm
Booster
Yes.
TomWaltz
Participant
Are you mounting the drive via AFP?

Then you can just open two finder windows and drag/drop from one to the other.
Tom Waltz
Thomas Holm
Booster
Yes I am using AFP. The "server" is shared using Sharepoints, not OSXserver.

The alias method I described was an attempt to do just that. But I haven't yet managed to open the server's program folder from my remote MBP.

BTW, I was lying, I'm not accessing the server through a router, It's through a switch/hub. Both machines have fixed IPs on the same subnet. The router is for internet access only.
TomWaltz
Participant
Since I have no idea what you have and have not done, and instead of me asking about each step and setting, let's try this from the top:

What steps have you taken? What settings have you changed on each machine? Do you actually have a server or are you just connecting two laptops?
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
create a new share of the program files using 'sharepoints' on your old machine?

but just so we're on the same page here: when you say "program files" you're not trying to share the application folder are you?! you will be into all kinds of permissions issues if you are . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
in fact, why make it so complicated?

just turn on file sharing on your old machine/new server and login as the administrator user for that machine. you'll have full access. doh!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Thomas Holm
Booster
The server is my old dual G4. It works as the server for the whole office. It's shared using Sharepoints, not OSXserver.

It IS the Application folder on the server I'm trying to access from my laptop. I feel somewhat reluctant to make a new share of this folder - it might cause other problems as you say. And I don't want to risk spoiling the sharing for the rest of the office.
just turn on file sharing on your old machine/new server and login as the administrator user for that machine. you'll have full access. doh!

I am the admin user of my laptop. I've tried logging in to the server from the laptop, with the server's admin user account and password. Works fine to a point. There is some confusion of aliases/links, so when I try to access the Application folder of the server, I only see the contents of my local Application folder.

If there isn't any fast workaround, I'll guess I 'll have to use the slow one. On the server I can create a copy of Archicad's libraries and place it in a shared document folder that I can access from the laptop. I thought I'd find an easy and straightforward way of avoiding this extra copy stage, but alas no. It's not a big problem, now I'm just mystified, and I'd like to know what's happening. (Y'know, that's what's driving me all the time Thanks for your engagement!
Thomas Holm
Booster
I guess you solved it for me. I deleted my old server login aliases on the laptop desktop, and then logged in anew, this time obviously with more care than last time. Now it works!

And I guess this only proves what I already knew. I'm an idiot!