Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

What to do with your left hand... A Very Strange Device

Anonymous
Not applicable
This I got to share!

I have been using a Wacom pen for 4 years now, instead of a mouse (the pen is, after all, mightier than the mouse...)

This I teach at architecture classes at the university. Students groan at the beginning, but once they get used to the pen (about 1 or two sessions) they never look back.

Now I had this long time problem: What to do with my left hand!
As I tend to work very fast, and 75% of my time at the computer is spend with AC, I had to use keyboard shortcuts.
I hate thos ctrlsomething shortcut. You get a dislocated wrist sooner or later. AC9 lets you use single key shortcuts (I used Fkeys on earlier versions) but still they are not easy to find. Most of the time you have to look at the keyboard, with obvious loss of time.

So I have been searching from some time for a keyboard substitute. What I found in the net (forget computer shops) was not adequate.

This xmas I was looking for some Ps2 games for my kid, and stumbled on something quite unique. This comes into the category of A Very Strange Device.

Microsoft produced a SideWinder companion in the late 90s, called Sidewinder Strategic Commander. This was obviously designed for games, of the complex sort, those that have a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

But wait! If it works for the fast paced games enviroment, could it also work for ArchiCAD?

I bought it straight away (some 40€, a bargain), rushed to my office, and began right away fiddling with it.

After unpacking, this Very Strange Device presented itself as a heavy object, perfectly fit for your (not so ) idle left hand.

There are a number of buttons - 2 for each fingers and 3 for your thumb - wich work in coordination, allowing you to program some 29 separate shortcuts.

If you ever owned a Microsoft hardware piece, you know that they are really good at this (OS and software is another story...)

The working is smooth, bugfree, easily programable... a dream come true!

There are no drives for WXP, only 98, but they work fine. My guess is this Very Strange Device got discontinued early, for lack of public interest.

They are probably hard to find (saw some at ebay), but boy are they useful.

Well, I had to share this with you folks. As soon as I managed to program the right keys for ctrl, alt, del, shift, move, rotate, mirror, split, intersect, adjust, undo, redo, upstory, down story and some zooms, and played around with it for one or two hours, I started to wonder how I could possibly have managed without it.

It almost made me cry of joy.

With this two Very Strange devices (pen and SSC) I look like someone out a Klingon ship. But I don't care. Mouse and keyboard never again for me!

Have fun

image004.jpg
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Any body tried or any thoughts on it http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/?
Thanks,
Joseph
Dwight
Newcomer
My other life is radio documentary and I've used ShuttlePro constantly.

Tested it for them regarding ArchiCAD applicability when the first one came out. Not recommended, except for sound editing where the little wheel is excellent for jogging and scrolling of the sound file. That's the chief thing you miss when you move from a hardware-based sound editing system.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I've used ShuttlePro constantly.. Not recommended, except for sound editing where the little wheel is excellent for jogging and scrolling of the sound file. That's the chief thing you miss when you move from a hardware-based sound editing system.
Dwight, thanks again for another time saving tip.....
I will try Nostromo SpeedPad n52.
Thanks,
Joseph
Dwight
Newcomer
And I also notice that you ordered my book. Thanks!

That Nostrodamus Pad - I hope it is good at killing video devils!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Back in May I posted an article on "input divices" under hardware about the Belkin - Nostromo Speedoan N52.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can control your PC with your Voice by using Speech Recognition Software . Some are free ... I prefer Dragon Naturally Speaking , Dragon Dictation ...

If you work alone in the office it can be useful for Archicad .