Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

new PC advice (old pc: slow updates on elevations)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to buy a new PC my old one works ok but is slow with shadows even on small projects. And slow regenerating in elevation views.

OLD PC
i5@3,2Ghz (quad-core)
240GB SSD
8GB RAM
Nivdia quadro K620

New PC
i7@4,0Ghz (quad-core)
256GB SSD M.2
32GB RAM
Nvidia quadro K620 (I would like to wait for the new PASCAL microarchitecture or maybe a game video card??)

Regenerating elevation views will this be faster with the new PC? And 3D shadows?
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
it is not easy to predict what will AC20 demand. But current picture tells me: "go for cores, not frequency".
I thought that if the CPU are from the same generation (14nm) the CPU underneath are equal speed.

4 core @ 3.6ghz (4x3,6=14,4ghz)
6 core @ 2.4ghz. (6x2,4=14,4ghz)

But for AC the 6-core will be faster? If so, is this because other processes don't need the full 3.6ghz. But only need a little part and the rest of the ghz can not be shared with AC?
Anonymous
Not applicable
tjibbe wrote:
it is not easy to predict what will AC20 demand. But current picture tells me: "go for cores, not frequency".
I thought that if the CPU are from the same generation (14nm) the CPU underneath are equal speed.

4 core @ 3.6ghz (4x3,6=14,4ghz)
6 core @ 2.4ghz. (6x2,4=14,4ghz)

But for AC the 6-core will be faster? If so, is this because other processes don't need the full 3.6ghz. But only need a little part and the rest of the ghz can not be shared with AC?
This is not corect math 4x3.6 not equal to 6x2.4 in computer world.
Basically yes, AC do not use cores at full load, so more threads - higher performance in theory. I see some proofs of this in real work.
shtarkel
Participant
When ARCHICAD renders it uses all the cores at 100%! Also the cores are used intense in section/elevation.
So more cores and overclocked is the best solution, that's why I use the Intel 3930k.
Anonymous
Not applicable
shtarkel wrote:
When ARCHICAD renders it uses all the cores at 100%! Also the cores are used intense in section/elevation.
So more cores and overclocked is the best solution, that's why I use the Intel 3930k.
100% CPU load i see only during the photorendering. While working with plan/section/elevations/3D window CPU utilization is ~ 20%
Capture.PNG
shtarkel
Participant
Thats exactly what I said! Try making a complex section and see your CPU? Make a screenshhot again
Anonymous
Not applicable
shtarkel wrote:
Thats exactly what I said! Try making a complex section and see your CPU? Make a screenshhot again
I think that section, which is taking more than a minute to regenerate, is complex enough. There are 15 sections, 4 elevations

none of the cores is utilized more than 20%
shtarkel
Participant
20% is because the engine behind ARCHICAD don't utilize all the CPU power but 20% is not small, also when I update drawings, make complex sections...etc. The CPU utilization has spikes!
Screenshot_2016-05-11_172125.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
shtarkel wrote:
20% is because the engine behind ARCHICAD don't utilize all the CPU power but 20% is not small, also when I update drawings, make complex sections...etc. The CPU utilization has spikes!
20% is not enough for me. It is quite annoying to wait 5-10 minutes just to change some property for all stud walls in the plan.
Jacques Toerien
Participant
I know it's one month later, but rather than looking at the graph showing the 'average' CPU usage, open the Resource Meter and look at the graph for each CPU core / virtual core. You should be able to see how the cores are used (or not) when updating sections / elevations / shadows etc. as you can see all the cores in one view.
2012 13" Macbook Pro 8GB Ram, OS X 10.14.6
2010 Mac Pro 2x 6 Core 2.93Ghz Xeon, 48Gb Ram, OS X 10.14.6, RX 580

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem. - Douglas Adams
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jacques wrote:
I know it's one month later, but rather than looking at the graph showing the 'average' CPU usage, open the Resource Meter and look at the graph for each CPU core / virtual core. You should be able to see how the cores are used (or not) when updating sections / elevations / shadows etc. as you can see all the cores in one view.
I did it as well. Every core is utilised 0-20%